Do you think it is brilliant of Ann Rice?

Since Ann Rice has decided to leave Christianity her popularity has sky rocketed. I have her on my FB and she posts constantly about it. Do you think it is a brilliant marketing ploy?

countryspun

Asked by countryspun at 10:52 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't think it's a ploy, but I'm not surprised by her announcement either. I never saw her as a lifetime total atheist any more than I could see her being a devout Catholic. I think those were just things she needed to explore as part of her personal growth and understanding. She needed to explore her inner "angry atheist" as much as she needed to explore her "devout Catholic" side. It will be interesting to see where she goes with her life and her writing now.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think she genuinely changed her view on christianity and that's fine. However I also think that there's no reason to issue a press release about it either. That is what makes me think she's taking a genuine situation and using it to get her name in the public eye again after many years. I think the last thing I heard about her in the news was that she was suddenly christian and not writing those kinds of books anymore. I'd be interested to know if she's about to start shilling a new book.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I think she just happened to be the last one to know Christianity wasn't her path. The majority of her fans that I know of, see this as her finally being open and honest with herself and everyone else... So, marketing or not, I think it's about time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:12 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think it's sad. Anne Rice has a gay son...and has been turned off by Christianity because of it. It's one of the reasons I feel so strongly about tolerance and freedom of religion.

I would hope my actions never turn someone away.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What she's done is no different than any other celebrity who makes a public statement about politics, religion, social issues, etc. For some reason it seems to be getting more attention because she's an author instead of a Dixie Chick or a Baldwin brother.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I dont think it is a ploy I think she has finally seen what some Christians do in the name of their god.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• This is no surprise. She was an atheist for years, then one day decided that Christianity was her thing, and it obviously wasn't. However, I have always thought she was nuttier than a fruitcake... not because of her religion of lack thereof, but because she's a serious fruit loop.

I don't blame her for leaving Christianity though... she changed her mind and became a Christian at a very bad time. Christianity in America is a joke.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• NannyB. she is an author. She wrote some very popular books like "Interview with a Vampire".
    countryspun

Comment by countryspun (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't think it is a ploy. Though yes I do think it will help her career greatly.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i dont think her change of beliefs is a marketing ploy in itself...but it sure is being used like one. honestly, i never really thought of her or her books until she made this decision and now her name is everywhere. im glad she's following her path & that shes happier now, but i really dont understand why its such a big deal.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010