Should Medicaid cover circumcision?

I was just reading online about how many states do not cover circumcision anymore if you are on medicaid. What do you think about that? No drama please just give your opinion that is all I am interested in.

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 11:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Nope. As the other ladies pointed out it is only a cosmetic surgery. That would be like asking medicaid to cover breast impants.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• no.. its cosmetic
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i'm kind of indifferent on it. Circumcision only costs around $400, so if they don't, I don't think it's a huge deal.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:17 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Never knew about it. It's going to make me wonder if I find out I'm having a boy. I'll have to ask about if it is a boy. Thanks for letting me know.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• no, it's not medically necessary. It's just cosmetic
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Matters what state you are in. I am in Ohio and they still pay for it. Oh and I guess it saves each state a million dollars if they do not cover it.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• nope
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes it should. Medicaid covered my son's circ. Why should my family and I be treated differently because we are on Medicaid? I pay copays and premiums on my Medicaid, so I should be able to have what I need for my family covered, just like private insurance. It is not a states or insurance companies decision what a family feels is needed or not for their chidlren. It is also not another parents right to tell a parent that their decisions are wrong or "only cosmetic".

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My private insurance does not cover it. So what do you say to that? American Pediatrics does not even feel it is necessary for heath. I think if you want to have it done and it is not medically necessary then you should have to pay for it out of your own pocket. Not out of mine. Once again this is an opinion post and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I hope there are no hard feelings. I liked seeing a different opinions. I just wish you would have backed it up more than just "nobody can tell me what to do" , would have made for a better conversation. Thanks everyone who responded.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• yes it should considering it can sometimes be medically necessary. I think until they concretely prove one way or another the health benefits/risks...it should be covered.jmo
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010