Do you actually KNOW someone who has still gotten pregnant after tieing their tubes?

Everyone seems to think it is so friggin hilarious to say, "Are you sure you aren't pregnant" when I feel sick or uneasy or even just want a certain food (one I am "craving").

Soooooooooooo NOT funny to me. I got my tubes tied, clipped, burned... the whole deal (tubal ligation isn't the old tieing of the tubes) because I am done having kids. I cannot afford to raise another child. I would welcome it into the world and love it to death if I ever had one, but I really can't afford it.

So, people are always telling me that they have heard of people still getting pregnant even though they've tied their tubes. Is this true? Or is it only true for the old method of actually tieing the tubes?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Since having my tubes tied 15 months ago so many people have told me they can become "untied" regrow or something. I soooo hope that's not true because like you I can't afford another one! When I went in for my csection though, a woman was there in labor after having her tubes tied the year before. I hope it doesn't happen to me
    ashleys2girls

Answer by ashleys2girls at 12:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My mom had 2 kids after getting her tubes tied. She would have had a 3rd but that one ended in miscarriage (not because the tubes being tied).
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well actually yes, my friend had hers tied three times because the first two didn't work and she ended up preggo.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 11:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You can get pregnant after having your tubes tied. In some instances, the tube ends reconnect and an egg is released down your fallopian tube. I hope you aren't pregnant. I have an IUD and have been craving chocolate ice cream lately. LOL I know what you mean by not being able to afford another child.
    mrsjksimmons

Answer by mrsjksimmons at 11:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes. One of my friends at work had this happen to her.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• well i don't know anyone personally but someone in my due date group just had a baby after tubal ligation. she asked for the dye test? and they said it wasn't necessary but then she got pregnant. she got a 2nd tubal ligation after her baby was born and is hoping it works this time....
    i have read that ESSURE is the only 100% thing. gl!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I had a tubal ligation performed 4 weeks ago, along with my c-section - cut and burned. BUT, the hospital still made me sign a form stating that I understood that the procedure was not a guarantee of sterilization, and my OB told me that there is still a small (.5% I think I remember correctly?) failure rate.

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• But is this a tubal LIGATION that they got pregnant after or just having the actual tubes TIED? Two big differences. Mine were clipped and burned, not just tied. See? i've been STARVING lately and it makes me PARANOID damnit! lol
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010