Doctor said it's okay to take compleate multi-vitamin.?.?.?

My obgyn (he delivered my other 2 DD's) said it's okay if I take a compleat multi-vitamin instead of prenatal vitamin. He said the only difference is if you forget a multi vitamin your folic acid level drops but if you take prenatals they last if you miss a day. I am not forgetting at all (and i have the gummy ones-they are easy to keep down with nausea) has your doctor told you this before. So basicly it's just a matter of keeping your folic acid constant. I did look at the prenatal gummies but they only come in flavors that would make me puke them up anyways!

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 11:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• as long as you're taking it everyday, doesn't really matter which one you're taking.

I've heard of drs telling pregnant women to eat the children's chewable vitamins if the prenatals make them sick.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes. I had to take a complete vitamin becuase the prenatal vitamins made me so constipated. (I know TMI). LOL You will be fine with a complete vitamin.
    mrsjksimmons

Answer by mrsjksimmons at 11:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Oh, yeah, the Prenatals gave me rotten belly issues. I took generic flinstones.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It's fine.
    GinaPQueen

Answer by GinaPQueen at 11:35 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have been taking Flinstones Complete Chewable Multivitamin when I am nauseated. I try to take a regular prenatal one when I feel pretty decent. I take Women's One-a-Day prenatal vitamin over the counter when I am feeling pretty decent but I can't swallow the supplement (a large yellow liquid filled capsule that contains the DHA supplement) so I just take the actual pink vitamin (it usually comes with two different pill bottles). My mom could only take iron and folic acid when she was pregnant so I am sure that if your doctor okays it then it will be fine. Some women don't even take vitamins at all and just eat healthy but it's better to take any than to take none because you never know what you might have a deficiency in. Prenatals didn't always exist anyway, so be rest assured that everything will be fine with a regular multivitamin.
    LevisWife8587

Answer by LevisWife8587 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010