JW...why do you believe that the wicked will suffer "endless annihilation" vs "conscious punishment that will never end"

read luke 16:22.28 matt 8:12/22:13/24:51 mark 9:43 Luke 12:4. it describes it as fire burning sulfer perdition weeping darkness tornment. Why do you teach otherwise??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not JW, however my parents are...the way I understand it is that, a merciful God (Jehovah) does not want to see his creation suffer endlessly for earthly sins. Therefore when armagedon accurs, the chosen will be ressurected or protected and go on to live an eternity on a utopian earth. Those that are not, will cease to exist, erased from the memories of the living. They will return to dust as if they were never there.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 12:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I have to read up on it some more, but I believe that their interpretation is that the fire is part of armagedon...but in another verse of the bible it speaks of the return to dust and that blood return to the earth.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 12:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Also I assume you are catholic from the verses that you have quted (I myself was raised catholic) anyway, if you are they have a tendency to only study Matthew Mark Luke and John. That being the case...and if you have not already maybe you should explore the other books in the bible to see where this teaching comes from. I myself do not believe in God, but am very interested in religion. I do know that I have read verses in the bible that explain the teachings of the witnesses thouroughly. Therefore I think it is a blanket statement to say that they are teaching "Otherwise"
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 12:58 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• they don't know. they just blind follow
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Once again, the anonymous peanut gallery can't take responsibility for their own opinion and evidently knows absolutely nothing useful or contributorty about the subject.

Remember anonymous...when you point a finger, three are pointing back at you.

As for the OP, I don't know enough about JW's to comment, but I look forward to any additional USEFUL replies!
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• i THINK THAT PEOPLE WHO ARE WICKED WILL BE JUDGED BY JEHOVAH GOD, AND THAT THE WICKED THINGS OF THE EARTH WILL BE DESTROYED, GOD SAYS HE WILL JUDGE US ALL! SO WHOS TO SAY WHAT EXACTLY WHAT GOD WILL DO, FOR WE AREN'T GOD.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Here this is from their site... I don't have time at the moment to go in to all this... I'm supposed to be working..

Many religions teach that the wicked will go to a fiery hell and be tormented forever. Is this teaching logical and Scriptural? The human life span is limited to 70 or 80 years. Even if someone was guilty of extreme wickedness all his life, would everlasting torment be a just punishment? No. It would be grossly unjust to torment a man forever for the sins that he committed in a short lifetime.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Only God can reveal what happens after people die, and he has done so in his written Word, the Bible. This is what the Bible says: "As the [beast] dies, so the [man] dies; and they all have but one spirit . . . All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust." (Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20) There is no mention here of a fiery hell. Humans return to dust—to nonexistence—when they die.

In order to be tormented, a person has to be conscious. Are the dead conscious? Once again, the Bible gives the answer: "The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten." (Ecclesiastes 9:5) It is impossible for the dead, who are "conscious of nothing at all," to experience agony anywhere.

• Here's another good article to help you understand their belief...

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20020715/article_01.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2008