NOOOOO birthday gifts????

Here's the deal...My dd has so many toys and clothes that it's not even funny. Alot of the stuff she doesn't play with or wear. I think we get so much because I'm a single mom and she is the only grandbaby on both sides of the family. I live in a little one bedroom/one bath house and we don't have room for anything. Most of her stuff goes to retail shops or other people I know who has kids. Here's my question:
Her birthday is ONE month after christmas. Everyone already has a TON of stuff for her for christmas. I was thinking instead of doing Birthday gifts, have the people that want to "give" something bring a donation for a local charity. I know if I just donate whatever they give her for her gifts than they'll wonder why she never played with it or wore it. Has anyone ever done this or been to a birthday like this? I know it's her FIRST birthday but I think she'll understand when she's older (I hope). Ha!

Kenzies_momma

Asked by Kenzies_momma at 12:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally, I think its a great idea, but if you are afraid people will take it the wrong way, what about donating all of her "old" things to the salvation army or the goodwill, and keeping the new stuff? Think of it as a toy exchange...you get a cleared out house, and she gets all new toys...

Also, for future reference, consider asking for savings bonds...a $50 EE bond costs $25, and by the time she is 18 and finished with high school, worth about $70-80ish. My daughter now has more in savings bonds from one years worth of holidays than I had in my savings account when I graduated high school...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Oooh, I don't know. First birthdays are really special. Maybe everyone could do a donation and a small stuffed animal, and then you can put all of them in a hammock in her room? That could be her "first birthday collection" or something. I wouldn't take up too much room and there will still be the sentiment attached to it? Just make sure you're clear that it should be a SMALL suffed animal!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I think that that is a good idea.
    Or perhaps if that give cards with money in it you could start a account for college funds .
    just a idea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• for my sons first bday, we are going to have everyone bring books.. they are small, and well, he wont grow out of it, and they wont shrink in the dryer, etc. but as for a favorite charity, i think that is a wonderful idea, but if they write out a check, have them make a donation in her name. That way it will be like she made the contribution. Also, maybe pick a childrens charity, like st. judes childrens hospital, and mail all the money to them, in the name of your daughter. We will also be doing that for his bday. Granted, we have about 9 more months to go :)
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Or......could I tell everyone to bring a gift for a local orphanage. That way she can at least open stuff and than way we can have all sorts of stuff to take to the orphans. I was just thinking about this because today I had people telling me what they're getting her for xmas and I was like OMG what am I going to do with ALL of this stuff. I feel like it's my dd home and not mine because there is baby stuff in every corner of the house. Thanks for all the advice!
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:58 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• This is a good idea, very considerate! Another thought--- for people who really want to give your daughter something (like probably the grandparents) you could start a savings account for her & ask for money to go towards that account instead of toys, etc.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 1:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You could have them donate to a savings account for her. That way they are still "giving" to her. Or the savings bonds would work too.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• We are in the same type of situation.. and always have been. No room for more toys..and if I see any more clothes hit my laundry.. i'm gonna scream.
    But for birthdays.. we have a tradition. The first birthday .. 1 small gift per family.. very small. Stuffed animal.. and things of the sort. But we got each of the 7 kids in the family a large "piggy" bank. At the birthday party.. everyone brings their "extra" change.. and puts it in the bank.. and this continues with each birthday.
    My oldest nephew is 18 now.. and has cashed in his bank a couple of times.. and my oldest son is 12 and has a good sized savings account. It's exciting to watch it grow.. Daddy and I are always throwing our change in the kids' banks.. and it doesn't take long for it to add up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Books are always a good idea, I also think donation is great, dont forget you local animal shelter, than you can take your LO to see the animals she helped. Also you could ask for gift cards, or a savings account is a great idea.
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2008