Should I have my baby checked for Asthma or any respiratory issues?

My baby boy was born St. Patricks Day this year. He was 3 weeks early. When he was born he had jaundice (normal for him being early) and some respiratory distress minor enough for him to be okay but they did keep him in NICU all night and most of the next morning. They said that he seemed to be having a little difficulty breathing.
Well, he went home when I did but I still notice from time to time you can hear him breathing and it doesn't sound like my girls did. He sounds like he may sometimes be having just the slightest inability to get a complete breath.
The doctor knows about the respiratory distress from birth, so should I just let them do what they do everytime they do his check up's and know that they are doing what is best for him or should I ask to have him checked?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Asthma in children isn't diagnosed the same way asthma is in adults. I would mention it to the doc next time you are there.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:53 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If the baby seems like he is in distress then have him checked. Otherwise there aren't any tests that can definitively say asthma at this age. They may keep a closer eye on him when he does get sick.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:53 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Is he snorty- like maybe he needs to have his nose suctioned with a nasal aspirator? Did they give you 1 of these when you were discharged from the hospital-most hospitals do? Does he every change colors, like from pink to pale to blue, especially around the lips or inside his mouth? Does he choke with feedings? Is he gaining weight and hitting his milestones appropriately for age (minus 3 weeks, corrected for being pre-term)?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would talk to your dr about your concerns. My baby was diagnosed with asthma at 8 months old and she had coughed from birth but at 8 months the dr heard her wheezing for the 1st time. Now she is on breathing treatments daily along with other meds that help stabalize her asthma. Asthma is serious and shouldn't be taken lightly. It won't hurt to tell the dr about your concerns. If nothing else it will ease your mind. Good luck with everything!
    ashleys2girls

Answer by ashleys2girls at 11:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You should always mention any questions you have. You want to keep breastfeeding as long as possible. Breastfeeding may help prevent asthma (studies have mixed results). It does decrease infections and that is great for babies and toddlers with asthma. When they are sick they can breastfeed and that helps them feel better and get better quicker.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Also at 9 months my daughter was admitted to the hospital for a cold but her asthma made it soooo much worse. She was there for 14 days and almost had to be put on a ventilater. Very scary and still fresh in my mind! Her asthma is stable for now but any time her allergies act up or she has a cold it causes flare ups with her asthma. Just thought I'd tell you so you can see how serious asthma can be. I hope your baby doesn't have it but if he does you need to find out and get it under control
    ashleys2girls

Answer by ashleys2girls at 12:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• DD started on nebulizer treatments when she was 9 months old and was on them until she was 2. She was hospitalized 3 times at the age of 1 for viruses that went straight to her lungs. She saw a respiratory specialist every 3 months until she was 3. It was very scary so I would definitely mention it to your doctor at your next visit.
    talestra

Answer by talestra at 12:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree. Anytime you are worried, you should ask the doctor.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Also I don't know if this matters or not but I had to use an inhaler throughout my pregnancy because I couldn't stop coughing and couldn't barely catch my breath most of the time. :(
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• He is growing like he is supposed to and hitting his milestones, but he does have a habit of where it seems like his sinuses are blicked when they aren't which is the same thing I did when I had to use my inhaler.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010