DS and I are getting really bored

cabin fever is going on in this house. SO takes my car to work because his needs repairs. We are out in the country so I can't just take a walk to the store or the park. We can't stay outdoors too long because it is very hot and humid, we color, play with legos, play wth his trains, we read, we do puzzles, and the rest of the day the tv or a movie is pretty much on so I can do chores. I am running out of activity ideas. He is 2 years old and very active. If he's bored he gets into mischief lol. I'd love some suggestions!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Invite someone over for a playdate.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• yes we do have playdates on occasion! he also gets speech therapy twice a week for 30 minutes. When I had my car we went to library playgroup and meetups all the time :(
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• how about a scavenger hunt? He can be looking while you do your thing. DD is 2 1/2 and I make her a map with pictures and she follows behind me looking for her stuff. She loves it!
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• playdates are good, take him on a "bear hunt" that was one of my sons favorite books and we act it out, treasure hunt with him, see wheat kind of neat things he can find in the yard within a few minutes and then take them back inside to see why he likes them so much, make a meal together, do something for your so together, get him involved in some of the chores-i like to give my dd the bibs or diapers to fold, and my ds loves to put my pots away. good luck i hope this helps
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• yes he does help me with chores. If we bake together I give him his own bowl because he tries to eat everything lol. He likes helping me put clothes in the dryer and sweep the kitchen floor.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Sounds like you done everything, but does he eat the playdough, I used to make mine from flour,salt,and food coloring, it gets tossed after the heat gets in it so he can use it, but it's super full of salt so if he gets in his mouth,.... surely will not eat it.
    Heres' a list of toys, my 2 yr liked

trucks
    duplos
    waffle blocks
    lincoln logs
    matchbox cars
    little people and those towns
    paint with poster paints, (kind of little yet, so wait a year?
    finger paints.
    I'll send you more on --"pm later if I think of more.''
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• oh, so hard mama!!!!
    have you made colors with paints?
    how about mixing baking soda and vinegar together?
    if you make your own playdough you can add kool aid to it to make it scented!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Take hubby to work so you can have the car and go somewhere.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Have him help you do some baking or other other small tasks in the kitchen. Make homemade Christmas (or other appropriate holiday) cards. . .it's easier to get them done now than in the rush right before the holiday season. Plus, they are greatly appreciated by grandparents. =) Get him involved in your chores. . .moving/collecting laundry, dusting/sweeping his room, etc. My boys always loved having a job to do. Do the sprinkler outside. Get out the old tape recorder and have fun recording yourselves making silly noises and talking in funny voices. . .record a silly message to play for Daddy when he gets home.
    Mommie22boys

Answer by Mommie22boys at 12:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• card making is a cute idea! my family loves homemade gifts
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010