when will they be able to see... on ultrasound?

I will be having an ultrasound by about the end of this week to make sure this pregnancy isn't an ectopic/tubal. They are waiting until my HCG is 1800. will we see a baby yet? a heartbeat? What are they looking for this early?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 11:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• At 4 weeks you might not see anything yet, but by 5 weeks you'd likely see a sac. At 6 weeks you'd see a fetal pole and possibly a heartbeat, but sometimes it takes until 7 weeks or a little past that to see the heartbeat. This early I suspect they are trying to see if there is anything in your tube or in your uterus to indicate the baby is developing in the right location. Good luck to you!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• you can see the heartbeat at about 6 weeks
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Chances are you will at least be able to see what will be a baby... With out youngest we were only about 5weeks along when we had our first sonogram and although he just looked like a little lima bean we could clearly see a heartbeat.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• They will be able to see a dark spot where the baby has implanted if nothing else. I saw my babys heartbeat for the first time at 5 weeks 4 days.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 12:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• you can see the pregnancy sac as early as 2 weeks and a heart beat as early as 18 days depending on what type of scopes or machines they use. it 's amazing isn't it? good luck and congradualtions
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I was told your levels have to be 2,000 to guarantee seeing a heartbeat, but I would think you will see something. The yolk sac, a very tiny baby, maybe even a heartbeat.

With this baby I saw a very clear heartbeat of 115bpm and a teddy graham shaped baby at 6w2d and my levels were just over 2,000.

Good luck!
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Wow, 4 weeks. That would mean the embryo would only be 2 weeks old. There wouldn't be a heart yet. The embryo is a two-layer ball of cells. They couldn't see an embryo that small. Maybe they are looking for abnormalities in your tube. If the embryo is 4 weeks old (6 weeks pregnant) the embryo is 0.25 of an inch long. It doesn't seem like they could see something that small. There is a head and tail but no heart. Weeks 7-8 (9-11 weeks pregnant the organs form). At 9 weeks the heartbeat may be heard by ultrasound or dopler.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Early on, you normally only see a yolk sac.. and no heartbeat.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i herd my babies heartbeat at 7 weeks!...thats the earliest iv had an ulreasound, gl to u tho!
    LilStacy

Answer by LilStacy at 4:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• @Gailll- they havent said how far along yet- I suspect 4 weeks or so. Also I had an ectopic pregnancy ending in emergency surgery to remove my right tube in April. So they are just watching from the earliest to be safe.
    hotrodmomma

Comment by hotrodmomma (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010