Can eating raw chicken hurt my dog?

My Japanese Chin raided our trash last night and ate 6 chicken skins I threw out hours earlier.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 12:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pets

• you have worry more about raw pork because of worms.

your dog should be just fine
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm not sure, but my husband said that he thinks your dog will be fine.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Thanks ladies!
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Some people feed their dogs raw chicken bones and all. They think it is healthier.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• He may get the runs so watch for that so you don't end up with a GIANT mess to clean up. Otherwise he should be fine.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'd assume it's ok since dogs are naturally hunters who don't cook their food before eating it. Lol. But I thought chicken BONES were dangerous.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• ya as long as yours doesn't have a sensitive stomach (in which case it would puke or have diarrhea) they will be perfectly fine!

hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• cooked bones are dangerous as they can and will splinter and poke holes in the animal's digestive tract.. raw chicken skin should be fine.. but animals can get salmonella poisoning as well- especially if your pet is particularly babied...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Don't give any raw meat to animals!!! Just keep them on thier food my vet says human food can make them very sick!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Raw meat, bones, and veggies are what canines are designed to eat dancer. Store bought food is fairly 'new' compared to how long dogs have been around. What is in dog/cat food is a large amount of corn filler (which no dog is designed to thrive on), the lowest quality protein source, and a lot of vitamins ~ and the entire mess is coated with used cooking fat.

Vets are NOT taught animal nutrition in school, it's an elective. They tell you what the salespeople tell them (the ones peddling the bags/cans of food). Eating 'human' food (your table scraps) would be far healthier for dogs than eating most 'dog food'. The meat and other fillers that are in dog food are the scraps deemed not fit for human consumption! Dogs lived on human or hunted food for centuries before dog food. Look up the BARF diet or the other raw diets and see for yourself. Most pet food is not good for our pets.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010