Any one in a interacial relationship tierd of the reaction from others when seen toghther

I am a product of an interracial relationship and both my daughters husbands are white and they too have children, my oldest daughter said her and her husband was treated so bad at a restaurant recently and the stairs brought her to tears because she never experienced that before and in grocery stores a lot of people think her children cant be hers because of her color verses theirs ,that she must be the babysitter , Ive had similar problems when I was younger and my mom was very vocal she is Austrian my father is black and me and my siblings are all shades of brown and different hair types and eye colors but my parents was so good about teaching us to do unto others as you want done to you but I TOO am noticing a change lately in peoples attitudes, can anyone identify with this it concerns me I DON'T want my children to go through this .

akamom400

Asked by akamom400 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• You should have more self confidence to not let other people get to you. You are who you choose to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You knew race would be an issue when you decided on your partner. It's your problem to deal with it and to teach your children how to deal with it. Some bi or multi racial kids have really good attitudes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I am not in an interracial relationship, however I have been. I have never understood why the color of our skin has to make a difference in who we love, and I honestly never let it bother me. My mother never had an issue with me dating someone of another race, but she always made a point to request we didn't have kids... She doesn't agree with it. For me, I figure we are all going to be so mixed in a few more generations that we won't be able to see who is of which color skin anyways...

It's unfortunate that you have to deal with this crap and that your children will... My best advice, is learn to turn your nose up at attitudes like that and teach your children to hold their head high, regardless of what others think!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think it is ridiculous that people are still this childish and uneducated that they still behave like this! My aunt (by marriage) is from Africa and both of my cousins have darker skin (looks like the deepest tan. But ya they still get looks like is that your dad? It is so stupid! You would think after all these years and seeing the deadly results of what prejudice causes, people would not be as ignorant to judge!

hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It shouldn't matter what people think about u and your family members. They can give looks all they want to look at all that matter is that they love each other and their happy with the themselves and family. Now if it gets to an issue where the people call ur family names and they being redicule for being they way they are in there relationship then that is an issue. But if normal people are staring at a restaurant and say thinks like rude things about them. Then all they do is wave to them with a big smile and show those people that how happy they are and if they still staring have ur daughter husband stand up and introduce his family to them. I know there will be alway riducle on intracial couple all the time but all we have to is stand up against that and show the people we r better than that and we r happy to be with people that we love with. So it shouldn't matter what they think.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• People always look at my husband & I and it can upset us still, but I know I am a better person than this, Also saying nothing to your children does not help. This will always happen. Just know who you are & what others think hurts but we are who we are & love who we love so, be happy with the blessings you have with your children & mate. I am 36 married to a wonderfull hubby but hes 63 & is Native American Indian & I am white. So it's either age or color everytime. My family was against it at first but now love my husband. We have been married for 9 years now. Good Luck
    faithhopeclan2

Answer by faithhopeclan2 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• gailll and anonymous did not read question correctly I did not choose my parent but I am glad they had me
    akamom400

Comment by akamom400 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• There are some people that are going to be cruel to others for a variety of reasons, the best thing to do is teach your children how to handle negativity/nastiness in general.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• These negative reactions will make anyone stronger in the long run, you can't shelter your kids from the bigots of the world but you can teach them self respect and to love who they are and where they came from.

Answer by older at 3:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• bumped ya!

Answer by older at 3:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010