I just want to see everyone else's reaction to this.

So...my DS is in an AP World Hist. class and on day one his teacher announces this.
You will never know my religious or political preferences, I do not like children and Hitler was a genius.
I refuse to do or say anything, but to tell my son he will probably learn more about life in this class than any class...what would you do?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 12:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• She sounds like an interesting teacher, I bet he will learn a lot from her. Hitler was a genius in many ways, he chose to use that genius in unspeakable ways. I think it's good that she's keeping her religion and politics out of the classroom - my DD's teacher last year would tell his students to tell their parents to vote for Obama.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well, the sad part is Hitler was a Genius... He just happened to be a Monster as well. His evil actions have nothing to do with his intelligence. That said, I would have to wonder what the teacher considers "children" if this is an AP class I would have to assume that he mostly teaches teens and those who are ready for college... So this may have been his way of simply expressing the he doesn't like immaturity. And as for the not telling his views, I think that's how it should be. Frankly, he sounds like a teacher I would have loved.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• The teacher may have simply been trying to get a reaction.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I personally think it would be a very interesting class to be in from that statement!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Hitler was a genius he just used it to do bad things. It sounds like a good class to me.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 12:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Nothing. Let him take the class and see what happens.

. As far as his statement HItler  (though an absolutely horrific human being) was a genius in some ways. Look at what all he managed to accomplish, that took some brains.

As far as not liking kids. I've known a few teachers who weren't fond of kids, but were great teachers.  Liking kids and being a good teach do not always go hand and hand.

As far as learning about life in the class.  I would tell my son this.."remember life is all about perspective. His views on life, won't necessarily  be yours. Now that doesn't mean you won't learn anything from him. Just remember perspective and maintain your own where you choose to".

Kids are and will always be exposed to different views and ideas from our own, even their own really  just like we are.That's how they grow & develop their own.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Hitler was a genius. That doesn't mean he used his genius to benefit humanity, but he most certainly was a genius.

I would applaud the teacher and his approach to commanding attention and interest (much like Hitler did). Sounds like it will be a wonderfully educational and terrifically educating experience!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree. He's trying to get a reaction. It worked! It's an AP class so it's going to be more college-like than just regular High School History.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It honestly sounds like it will be a very interesting class. I think it is great that a teacher will not talk about their political views in class. That is where they learn to make up their own minds and decide for themselves what is right and wrong. I hope he enjoys or has enjoyed this class.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I had a teacher say something similar the first day. Ended up not being what every one thought. We found out she was Jewish, and yes thought Hitler was a genius but like another poster said he used it bad. It ended up being the best teacher I ever had. I learned more from her than any other teacher I ever had. I would make him stay in the class and see what happens it might surprise you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2010