Chiropractors and ear infections...

My 16 month old daughter is having a problem with ear infections. I've been to an ENT and all he does is push getting tubes. I really don't want to do that because it is a surgery with risks and also because it will be expensive. So I was looking around online and came across an article that said taking her to a chiropractor could help. I've found one who has experience with toddlers and infants and seems very knowledgeable.
Has anyone ever taken their child to a chiropractor for ear infections and if so how was your experience?

AmazingAmanda

Asked by AmazingAmanda at 12:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So you'd rather take your child to a quack than an actual doctor? Have you considered a second opinion from a different actual doctor?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• There are a number of _chiropractic_ associations that frown upon treating anyone under age 15. Please don't feed the quacks.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My children have been seeing a Chiro since birth, I would recommend it to EVERY parent. The birth experience and the first few years of life are really hard on little bodies and Chiropractics are an excellent way to head off some very serious long term and up and coming issues. As for ear infections, we have never had issues with those in this house, however, it's easy to see how chiropractics can help. You should also be massaging her ears and the area around them. If you put your fingers in a V shape around her ear - one in front & one behind and massage down it will help her ears to drain more properly and can help to prevent further ear issues.

Good Luck & I hope all goes well with the Chiro! They can be a little scary at first for lil ones, but it's well worth it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If it works and means my baby doesn't have to be put under, then yes, I'd gladly take her to a "quack" than a regular doctor.
    AmazingAmanda

Comment by AmazingAmanda (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have a friend that sees a chiropractor for her and her children and she swears by him.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• yes mine have seen a chiro since birth. I found the benefits of having one after my dad (who would never go to one) never took me for 18 years then as an adult I went for shoulder pain and have gone ever since. Anyhow I'm not sure if they do it on LO's but I had a ear full of fluid when I was sick and mine done this thing where he pulled on my ear just right (it made a pop sound and hurt a little ) but when it popped it drained the fluid quickly. This is probably what you read about but yes it worked great for me. GL!

hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i have worked for a chiropractor and also taken my son to see one. There is NOTHING wrong with chiropractors and they are not quacks. I have had migraines my whole life and since seeing the doc I worked for I have not had one since (going on a year now). I would go get a consultation from one (most consults are free). Chiropractors do not "crack" bones or "dislocate" anything. The pop you hear is gasses being released from pockets in between your joints. And most chiros do not use the word "crack" they "adjust". And as a liscensed massage therapist massaging behind her ears in the v shape and also massaging her neck and sinuses will help tremedously. This will release any built up fluids. Make sure afterwards she drinks a good amount of water to flush out any toxins. I also have seen my chiro while pregnant because it greatly reduces pain and complications during labor by keeping your spine and hips aligned.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 12:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• A friend of mine is going to med school to be a chiropractor and she has had to take the same classes that a general practitor would have to take. But that being said, a chiropractor's specialty is the spine. And ENT's specialty is the ears, nose and throat. So go to the doctor who specializes in the issue you are having.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son has had atleast 6 ear infections since he turned one. I have yet to take him to an ent but the last time he had one, we were in MO visiting my BIL and SIL and my SIL works for a chiropractor and we took my son to see him. He adjusted my son just a lil bit and within a day he wasn't showing any signs of an ear infection and hasn't had one since. So I would definitely try a chiropractor first and then if it hasn't helped see a ent for tubes. My son was 15 months then and is now 19 months.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Please research the history of chiropractors and the "theory" behind what they do before using one. If you don't know what a subluxation is, then you shouldn't be asking a chiropractor to treat one in your child. As with most alternative treatment, there are people who swear by it, but little scientific evidence that it is more effective than a placebo. However, you may find that the experience is harmful to your child, or your wallet.
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 3:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2010