signs of labor

With my first son I never went into labor naturally. I was induced at 36 weeks due to him being quite large. I am according to my dr. somewhere between 36 and 38 weeks now (2 due dates Aug 22nd and Sept 6th). This pregnancy my son is also measuring about a week ahead in size. On July 9th he was 5lbs. Yesterday I had this gut feeling that today would be the day. This baby has dropped completely into my pelvis. The last time I was checked they could feel his head. Two weeks ago I was 1cm and about 50% effaced. I haven't been checked since then. Today I am having pressure very low in my abdomen and sharp pains in my whole uterus...they feel different from the contractions I have been having. Could this be a sign that labor could be coming soon? Also is there any signs that your water is going to break? I feel like I've been leaking for the past week but not sure if its amnio fluid or urine. My husband and I also had sex last nite

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 12:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my back is also hurting pretty good. I know that sex comment was TMI but idk if the pain and pressure could be from that. I also know sex can induce labor
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• With my son I never experienced real contractions until I was further along in my labor process. Mostly my back just ached.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If your water has been leaking for a week that would be a problem. You are supposed to have the baby within 24 hours of the bag breaking because of risk of infection. It's easy to test if it's urine or fluids. If you think it's a chance that it's been fluids then you need to be checked. You may need antibiotics and other interventions.

When doctors measure babies it is just a guess. They can be really off - 3 or 4 pounds. There is no way to tell when you are going to go into labor. The baby can be dropped and you can be dilated 3 cm for 3 weeks. There are many hazards of inductions. I would rather give birth to a large baby than be induced.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• when I had my son they were spot on with his weight when they did the ultrasound. Would you want to deliver a possible 13 lb baby naturally? I am 5'3" that would probably have killed me. At 36 weeks he was 9lbs and should have only been about 5
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Women can naturally deliver huge babies. The trick is to use different positions. Hands and knees is a good one. It will widen the pelvis. On you back is hindersome, it causes the pelvis to narrow. If you are leaking, you need to be checked. Also, dilation and effacing and dropping are no real indication of when labor will start. It might be today or in 2 weeks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Like the others have said it is just a guess with the size. They told me according to my ultrasound at 35 weeks that my first was going to be well over 10 lbs. Well he came at just under 39 weeks and he weighed a whooping 7 lbs 1 oz! A friend delivered an 11 lb baby at home with no meds etc and had absolutely no issue and she is very petite too. I personally would rather deliver a large baby then risk an early induction. As for what is going on with you right now I would definitely get the fluid tested to see if it is urine or fliud. The only reason you need to deliver so quickly after the water breaking is because the docs feel it is necassary to stick their hands up there and introduce foreign bacteria so there is a huge risk of infection. Dilation, ,dropping, efacing are not signs of labor at all though the pain may be early contractions. I would go get the fluid check ASAP if nothing else
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010