prewashing crochet project???

I finished a project. I will be adding some puff paint to the bottom to prevent slipping. The instructions on the paint say to prewash. Even if I wash by hand, will the yarn felt up? I don't want that to happen.....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• the only yarn that felts is wool, so as long as it's not wool, it should be fine.
    cotton can shrink some in hot water & the dryer.

but I've been crocheting for 20 years and have never heard of putting puff paint on the edge...
    my concern with the puff paint is that once it's dry and the item is stretched, the paint will crack and break.

what exactly are you using the paint for?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If it is wool, it may felt. But there are steps you can take to prevent felting in wool.

wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• darkfaery, I pm'd you. to be on the safe side I'm keeping it on the down low since the mama is on cafemom :)
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Okie dokie :)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010