Do you have a support system incase something happens between you and hubby?

Or are you alone?

Just wondering because a year ago hubby and I were constantly fighting (for reasons I don't wanna talk about) and we threatened to divorce eachother. We were on the borderline of getting divorced and I ended up staying with my mom. And she said that the only way I can stay with her is if I go to church. I know that's a small price to pay but it made me feel like she wouldnt help me unless I convert to her religion. That's a bit messed up don't you think?

Anyway, it doesn't matter because things are better now than they were a year ago, but I was just wondering if anyone has a good support system.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 12:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• I do. I am very close to my family. They live about an hour from me, but I know that I could show up at any of my family's house (right down to extended family) and be welcomed in with no expectations for me being there.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• yeah my mom my aunt my stepdad my uncle my real dad
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My mom is pretty much my support system too, but I feel I will be okay if something happened between my husband and I. I survived as a single mother before I met my husband and feel I could do the same if something were to happen.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well, I have lots of family yes. But, with the case of my first husband, I just told him I wanted a divorce and asked him to leave. I then found a house to rent and moved myself and the girls there. There wasn't anything that I couldn't handle. I don't foresee that happening with this one either. In fact, I could probably kick his butt to the curb if I had to. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• No, i have no support system. My parents are old & i am an adult. If something happens, take care of myself.

My DH is my support system & i am his support system. Luckily, our marriage is full of love, respect & friendship for one another, so my support system i have with my DH is stable & reliable.

I don't think it's messed up that your mom asks you to go to her church. You don't have to convert just by going & it is a very small thing to ask of you if she is offering to help you out. Church is only about 1-2 hours a week. No biggie at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• my friends moreso then my family, i had to stay in a domestic abuse shelter after i sent my x to jail for abusing me, my parents never even suggested or even offered for me to come home or to even help me get an apartment, i had a good job so i could have paid but no help nothing so till i found an apartment to rent i had to stay in the shelter.. so no i pretty much rely on myself now if anything happened again
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 12:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have an excellent support system, but not in case something happens between me and my dh. My family (3 brothers, 1 sister and my parents) all live in town and would do anything for me, and then I have a fairly large circle of friends that also are a huge help to me. When I left my ex, my parents offered to let me and my 3 kids live on their 3rd floor as a makeshift "apartment" - which I declined because I wanted to make it on my own. My friends stepped in and helped me with childcare, my sister gave me some furniture she wasn't using to help me furnish my new place, and my brothers came by every so often and helped with fixing stuff around the place (tightening cabinet knobs, snaking the toilet when my son flushed a toy down it, setting up my computer, etc.) They are definitely there for me whenever I need them!

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I know for a fact that I could go back to my parents home. They will always be there for me and the kids.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yeppers.. Me myself and I...

Does that mean that there is no one else I could count on. Nope, even my 70+ yr old mother would take me in and help me. If I needed. I have a brother that would take me in if I needed it. I have friends that would as well.

But I would not need their help. Emotional support, maybe. But that's about all I would need from them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• No, it's not messed up! It's her house!!! Her rules!! Don't like it, go to a hotel or friends house. Are you really asking this quesiton?
    And since you won't reveal little details about your almost divorce last year, I'd say maybe you cheated or he cheated. Or did he nail the baby sitter and you walked in? Someone's has some secrets! Better left in the closet, yes? Better for your marriage, no?
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2010