What government action has proven the most efficient in raising revenues?

lowering both income and profits taxes, reducing government spending

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• None they haven't raised revenue.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• raising taxes. it makes money every single time.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Lowering taxes. Up are you serious?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Up, please show me PROOF where raising taxes generates more money..  From what I have read,heard, seen~ it is the opposite...

The historical data available from the IRS, noted economist Arthur Laffer wrote in the Wall Street Journal, demonstrates again and again that “raising income tax rates on the top 1 percent of income earners will most likely reduce the direct tax receipts from the now higher taxed income--even without considering the secondary tax revenue effects, all of which will be negative.”

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• From past experiences we (should) know that lowering taxes on everyone helps the economy and raising taxes causes the opposite effect. We are living it right now. The so called rich( companies who hire) are not hiring because of threats of higher taxes thus people are not working and taxes to the government are down. There is less going to the government for their spending sprees so they print more money which also hurts us.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• In my opinion, lowering taxes. Digging out my old Econ 101 textbook, it cites lower anticipated inflation, full normal employment, and, oh look, lower tax burden.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• The key for me is to decrease the need for revenue. In other words..STOP SPENDING SO MUCH.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• REVENUE is how businesses survive! You have to be kidding,sopranomommy.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Sorry misread the question. I meant government needs to stop spending so much therefore the need to increase government revenue decreases.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• some good answers here
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2010