Why do people see Natural medicine as weird or "alternative"...

And then see medication which is full of unnatural chemicals and potentially harmful materials as okay or normal?

Am I the only one that see's this as backwards? Especially when it comes to your kids...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Many of today's successful medicines are derived from natural remedies.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Nope I agree. Though I use normal prescriptions I also use natural and herbal remedies and am working on increasing my knowledge. I think many see it has witch craft in an evil sense which is just silly. However I know that is my families reason for getting pissed at me for looking into it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Very easy answer to this one (btw, I think as you do, I just uderstand the other side as well)
    Western medicine (IE: prescription drugs) has science backing it. It produces predictable results that work for the majority. Eastern medicine and other CAM (complimentary alternative medicine) has not been "proven" by science. Nor will it ever be because alternative medicine focuses on keeping a person healthy instead of treating symptoms, there's not much money with healthy people. Drugs that have side effects and don't treat the cause of the issue means there will always be a steady stream of money from the masses.

Honestly, western medicine is good for broken bones and surgeries that NEED to happen. Everything else, the body has an innate ability to heal itself and eastern medicine fascilitates that healing and helps return our bodies back to homeostasis.

Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 12:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• To me medicine sound like intervention and alternative medicine sounds like an alternative to conventional intervention. Alternative is positive not negative. The are problems with alternative medicine and kids; giving them anything that acts as a drug, not allowing them to have treatment for serious or lifethreatening conditioning conditioning, things like that. That's when people see it as wierd or dangerous.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i agree with you!
    my kids have never been medicated for anything.
    i don't see the need!
    i believe their immune systems will be stronger for it in the long run...not to mention their liver!
    i believe that the place for modern medicine is in the emergency room.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• That's my point though, why isn't "Medical Intervention" the "Alternative" to natural options? I'm not saying that one should be used over the other in all situations, but when your kid is teething for instance, why give them chemicals over natural options that work just as well? Obviously, some things need more conventional intervention, no "natural remedy" is going to cure a stroke... But that doesn't mean natural medicine doesn't work... Why is it so bad to check out the natural options before turning to dangerous chemicals?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It's called "alternative medicine" because if someone could prove it worked, in a real, double-blind study, it would be called "medicine."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i think it depends on the illness, i use some natural and homeopathic remedies for my kids for some things and other times i use drugs. i don't agree with the people who try the alternative meds. to cure cancer and then their child dies. i have heard alot of success treating cancer through natural means(changing diet), but the story i'm thinking about was not like that. the child had lukemia and the parents would not give him chemo or any of the other treatments. they were going to a 'medicine man' and the treatments were not working. instead of trying something different (like changing diet), he died and i think that's really sad.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have no problem with home remedies and have been known to use them. I don't run to get antibiotics for every sniffle. I don't jump for the tylenol at a 99.0 fever. I have a lot of respect for the fact that medicine is chemical and don't feel the need to jump right on that option. I also have a lot of respect for the fact that these medicines when uses judiciously are a good option. I also use herbs and home remedies whenever I can or first before jumping to meds.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think part of the reason is that they do not understand it. I also think that because some of the stories they DO hear are about parents who refuse to get their children treatment for cancer and the child dies. When they hear things like that they assume it is all bad.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2010