When it's one thing after another all day long...

and you are a comfort eater how do you push past the feeling of "needing" comfort food?

Cassarah

Asked by Cassarah at 12:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I keep "comfort food" out of the house ... and if you have to have something, you can have stuff like grapes, raisins, avocado, nuts, jello, celery or carrot sticks .. things like that.

Usually if I want comfort food I will do a mini workout first .. like a 10-20 minute workout to see if I can steer my mind away from eating. If I'm still wanting to eat, I will do one of the snacks listed above. And if I do have a snack, I have a glass of water beforehand, to help "fill my tummy".
    TeamJacobsCoach

Answer by TeamJacobsCoach at 1:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't buy it. Keep it out of the house. When there's nothing to eat, it's easier to not eat it.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 12:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I chew a lot of gum. :-) It's not too bad if it's the sugarless gum.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Oh and lots of water. I find the more water I drink the less "comfort foods" I crave.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 12:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I distance myself as far as possible and just sit and sulk until I'm too lazy or unmotivated to get up and eat. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't lol. Sorry, I'm probably not much help!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Great suggestions above! I do those things too. I also sometimes go for a walk instead of mindlessly eating. I do my absolute best to keep my weakness foods out of the house, and that's the biggest help of all. Have some alternatives around-- when I want chocolate, I have a small cup of Jello dark chocolate sugar free pudding (about 65 calories). If I'm craving macaroni and cheese, I nuke a Lean Cuisine mac-and-cheese tray (I think they're around 250 calories, so okay to do every now and then). Most importantly, since you can't always avoid temptation, keep your eye on the prize--you have to learn to want to have a healthy body more than you want to indulge in food. I think about how much exercise I will have to do to burn off that 3 minutes of pleasure, and that usually does the trick for me.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't keep it in the house or take any to work. I drink tons of water and reach for fruit.

sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 10:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2010