Head Start ?

Is your child required to be potty trained before entering Head Start or do they help work on it? My son is getting better but he's not quite there yet.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in

• Yes, most preschools they have to be potty trained, generally. But there have been exceptions to that rule. For instance if your child has some sort of disability that makes training difficult (not speech delayed) and you have started an IEP *Individualized Education Plan* for him, if it states they must change diapers/pullups in the IEP, they have to abide by the standards in the IEP.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• im not sure my dd is in preschool and isnt fully potty trained she wont even try she did good going at school last year but wont go at home.
    mommam58122

Answer by mommam58122 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It might depend on the school.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Ours here they have to be trained. They will not change diapers/pullups

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Here it depends on how your child qualified for Head Start. If your child is in Head Start b/c he/she has a disability, they will change diapers as part of the IFSP, but if your child is typically developing and is in Head Start because you meet the income guidelines, then no, they won't change diapers.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son is speech delayed too and he had to be 100% potty trained before school started..
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 7:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• A child must be potty trained to attend the preschool here that is offerred thru the school district. Head Start is a bit more lenient. I would not want someone else diapering my child.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think so.
    jat08167

Answer by jat08167 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thanks. I tried asking them when I called earlier, but they hung the phone up too quickly after I asked my first question, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• He's in for disability (speech delay), and he's wearing undies (pullups only at night). He's been really getting good about going to the potty but he still has to be coaxed and he does have accidents now and then. I'm hoping that he'll be fully engaged (so to speak, LOL) by the time HS begins, we are definitely working on him. Each classroom has it's own little bathroom fortunately.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010