OVER CONTROLING, IGNORANT mother n law.... what would you do?

My mother n law is insanely controling. She lives out of town and although she comes in quite often, she rarely visits. So,,, when she offered to come stay with our kids (1 and 4yo) for the weekend so we could go away(and this is the 1st time weve ever done this) we were thrilled! Because they would be geeting in a lot of quality time, with thier only grandma! When we returned home, we came home to a house full of people.... not much of a suprise though because she does this all the time. She invites everyone over and then tells me theyre coming! As if that wasnt enough, we found out that her BOYFRIEND ( whom weve met TWICE) stayed the whole weekend and they slept together in our bed! She didnt even ask if it was ok ! Then they got a bbsitter sat night, That we and the kids have never met! so they could go out to dinner!!! WTF Im so pissed! And the worst part is my husband never has the BALLS to stand up to her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• If she volunteers or asks again to baby sit tell her thanks but no thanks you didn't like the way she handled the last time. It's your house, your kids and you have every right to feel the way you do with the kids and the house. You asked her to baby sit so you could go out not so she could get a sittier to go out. Like w/ the house also, she sohuld have the common courtesy to ASK if it was OK to have the BF come spend the night in your home. She had people over, how did you know what these people were like, and how well did she watch the kids while she was partying? It has nothing to do with the kids see mommy & daddy sleep together, it has everything with TRUST, to do with doing what she was asked to do and doing it right.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• That would be the last time partying granny came to watch my kiddos.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Did you set down rules before you left? If not, enuff said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Never let her watch your children again, and be sure you tell her why. I usually advocate the husband dealing with his side of the family, but this is over the top. Since he won't tell her, you need to do it. She put your children's safety in peril and that will not ever do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would NEVER let her watch them again. Wow!
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yeah, my kids would never stay with her again! And, if my hubby did not say anything, I would. I would tell her while I could appreciate that she wanted to see others while she was in town, I was not comfortable with all those people in my home. I definitely was not comfortable with my children being left with a babysitter that I did not know, and I did not want ANY OTHER couple sleeping in my bed! That included her and her boyfriend.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• And we did set down rules... but I didnt think I had to tell her she couldnt have boys over to the house lol
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I sent her an email that I had my husband read first. I have tried to talk to her about things in the past, but she always says, "Well I'll speak to my SON about this". I told her her son is MY husband and these are OUR children. I would have expected a 16yo girl to sneak her bf in, but NOT my 55 yo mother n law! As for the bbsitter besides the fact that we dont know her, At that point she hadnt even been with the kids for 24hrs! WTH
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• OMG this is to funny to hear some one else with the same problem... Man with no balls. My husband is the same way. He talks all big and bad but when it comes time to say something to her he never does. Then when I have had it and I say something I do it all wrong and everyone ends up pissed at me. Luckily we live on two different coast now so I only have to deal with her once a year for three weeks.
    Shannan21

Answer by Shannan21 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• She was being a responsible adult who was watching children. I agree she should have not gone out and left the children with strangers but I"m sure she thought she was doing the responsible thing. The kids see you and dad sleeping together so I'm sure they didn't find it odd granny and her bf slept together. Just change the sheets and don't let her watch them again.
    Anonymous