Do you have a "low flow toilet"? And why?

I consider myself pretty eco-friendly. We recycle; we use cloth bags at the store; we try to always turn off lights and unplug items we're not using; limit water waste etc....

The house had these 'low flow toilets' when we moved in - sounds like a great idea in theory; use less water per flush right? Well not if there's not enough pressure to make it actually flush!

I swear 8 out of 10 times it must be flushed at least twice (even if it's just urine and a little TP) - or possibly 3-4 times if something additional is in the bowl...

So how exactly is that 'saving water'?? Stupidest idea ever!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I just put a gallon milk jug full of water in the tanks to cut down on water usage. reduces it 1 gallon per flush.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We have one. When we had to replace the toilet it was the same price as a regular one plus it sounded like a good idea. We haven't had any problems flushing though. Maybe the pump/pressure is bad?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We went from 10-gallon toilets to 1.6. Even if needed to flush twice every time (and we usually don't,) it would be way less water than we were previously using.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think the newer low-flow toilets do a better job. We have 4 low-flow toilets in our house. The master bath toilet is much newer than the other ones, and it has far less problems than the rest, as far as getting everything down in one flush. You're absolutely right--if you have to flush more than once, it defeats the whole purpose. I think the toilet people realized this and made some improvements in the last several years. Do you happen to know how old yours are?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We have a regular toilet, but we keep a bottle in the back that keeps it from using as much water. We have had the same issue though, just hold down the handle for a few extra seconds and it tends to flush better.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• lol - I did this anon cause I wasn't in the mood to discuss 'potty issues' publicly; lol but I can't reply anon - oh well

Vicesix - I think you may be right; they're a good 9 yrs old at least...and I have been in some newer homes where the toilet almost sounds like a 'jet' it's got so much pressure --- that could very well be the problem with these that they're just old - it's just SO frustrating having to flush and then wait to flush again and again; lol -- esp w/ kids!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Sorry you had to out yourself OP, lol. If it's any comfort, I don't think any less of you due to your toilet problems :)

3 of our low-flows are about 15 years old (which is about when they first started selling them, if I'm not mistaken) and they don't do as well as the 2 year old one in the master bath. One of them actually will not really flush at all if we don't hold the handle down about 5 seconds. That one is in the guest bathroom, so it will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. *sigh* It's always something, isn't it? Best of luck with yours!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• LOL I'm sure I'll survive the exposure! hahaha

IDK it just irks me each time I have to do it; seems like such a waste...suppose I'll have to start badgering; oh I mean hinting (lol) to; the SO to think about replacements...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Ours are normal. If we ever get new toilets, though, we're going with the dual flush toilets. Normal amount of water for poop, about half that for pee. There's something you can add to your existing toilet that makes it dual flush, we've just never added it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We have one in both of our bathrooms and haven't had any problems with them. I do know that on occasions it may need flushed twice but very rarely.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010