HOW CAN I BE A BETTER PARENT WITH MY 11&13 YEAR OLD?

HERE'S MY STORY I TRY TO BE A COOL MOM BUT THAT EFFECTS ME BEING FIRM WITH MY DAUGHTERS. NOW THERE OLDER I'M GETTING SICK OF THE DISAGREEMENTS. I JUST STARTED A NEW RELATIONSHIP WITH A WONDERFUL MAN. HERE'S GREAT WITH US BUT MY OLDEST DAUGHTER DOESN'T RESPECT HIM AT ALL. MY 11 YEAR OLD WANTS TO CALL BOYS ON THE PHONE AND I SAY NO! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG I'M READY TO GIVE UP AND SEND THEM TO THERE DAD. CAN YOU TELL ME IF I AM BEING SELFISH ARE WHAT?

Faithful77

Asked by Faithful77 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• First I am not sure why you do not want you 11 year old talking to boys. I think that maybe your girls are trying to let you know that they are getting older and they need some freedoms. If you have taught them well then they will make the right decisions. I know that I would rather know what they are doing then having them go behind my back to do something.

I also think that you need to be consistent with them. if you really don't want them doing something then you have to explain why Don't just say "No' with a reason why.

I would also talk to your oldest and explain that she needs to be respectful, if she is not then I would ground her.
    Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• pick your battles. compromise is easier to do than to fight all the time.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Give the new friend and your daughter time with no special attention being on your friend. Let her know that you still love her and that shes first.  But do break it to her gently but firmly that she will respect your friend and act like a nice young lady.  As for phone calls thats a good question my 12 yr old is only aloud to call her boyfriend once every two days.  And he's only aloud to call her once every two days.  It doesn't always work out that way but its a good ground rule for starters.  Good Luck!! ha ha

reypol

Answer by reypol at 8:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2008