Marriage is a legal matter so why are churches sticking their noses where it most definitely does not belong?

Seriously. Churches have so many rules to marriage. I would not have been allowed to get married if it was not a legal issue. My marriage was refused by three different sects of Christianity. My dh is atheist. They were against a Christian marrying an atheist. However legally I was allowed to get the license and marry through a justice of the peace. Any body wondering dh wanted to give me my dream wedding by marrying in the church. Then to use priests may be sued as an excuse. Yes they may be even now w/o gay marriage legal. It does not mean they will lose. So what other arguments are there besides Suing and God, because those have no leg to stand on?

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/11/05/legal-vs-religious-marriage.htm

http://www.surveymagnet.com/2010/06/marriage-legal-or-religious-matter/

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You know how I feel about this. NO RELIGIOUS GROUP should have a say in legal matters which apply to people beyond the scope of their group. If an issue, ANY issue, affects people of many groups, religious groups should not get involved...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Why would you want a church who doesn't want to bless your union, I would have found one that did, and make the dream come true there.

Answer by older at 1:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Excellent point! If I could bump this more than once, I would!
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Whether or not marriage is not a legal or a religous matter is kind of up to the individuals getting married, isn't it?

My marriage certificate from my church means more to me than the marriage license issued to me by the state.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Since marriage was God's idea, I think the church kind of feels responsible for keeping the institution in line with the guidelines laid out in the Bible.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Not sure what your asking-- should you sue a church? Nope it is their right to marry whom ever they want. I am not sure why you care so much. If you marring an atheist get married in your back yard or a beach or a gazebo. All places are nice to be married in. I am assuming it matters not to the atheist but to you the Christian. The one thing I know is that marriages is full of sacrifices one may be the place it starts out. Good luck to you.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Marriage is historically an institution of the churchm. Gov put their noses into it for taxation purposesm. - hope your question is a jokem
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i always thought marriage was a union between man, woman and God. i thought it was a religious "thing" first. i suppose i could be wrong about that.
    i love the fact that dh and i are both catholic. even though we are not catholics in good standing...we got married at the courthouse too! with us being of the same faith, it makes teaching our faith easier.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Marriage is a legal contract.

Churches should have the right to "marry" whomever they choose, but the license is government issued. The church is simply "blessing" the union.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• bumped ya

Answer by older at 1:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010