did you know 15 years ago today....

Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead left us?! He is a legacy and left behind a style of music many follow today. The band he left behind still tours and the audience just keeps getting bigger! He fell victim to drug addiction for many years. He checked himself into rehab to detox but his body couldn't handle it.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, didn't know that
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I remember being at work and hearing the news. I was never a Dead Head but did see them in Golden Gate Park when I was 14. It was a concert I will never forget...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I didn't know. I have never understood why this man had (and still has) so many fans... I just never got it... Maybe it was a "you had to be there" kind of era...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Nope, didn't like the music so don't know him... Sorry
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, we are big fans. My DH still listens to the Dead all.of.the.time...and he's gone to see the remaining members in concert several times, but for me, it all ended the day Jerry died. I'll never forget hearing the news. I wasn't one of the crazy deadheads that followed them on tour and saw them hundreds of times, but I would guess I saw them at least 30 times during my teen years and early twenties.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• No, I did not know this. Interesting tidbit of info though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My cousin called me--in tears. It is funny what can strike an emotional note. I think I need to make sure to send her a hello today! Thanks for the reminder.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Good man, good music. Such a shame that he couldn't embrace the changes he sang about early enough to save himself.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I didn't realize. . .I wasn't a Deadhead, either, but I do like their stuff. Drug addiction. What an awful way to go. . .
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What a long strange trip it's been ....
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010