OVER CONTROLLING and IGNORANT mother in law What would you do? (sorry somehow the last quetion closed and dont know how to reopen so i just reposted)

My mother n law is insanely controling. She lives out of town and although she comes in quite often, she rarely visits. So,,, when she offered to come stay with our kids (1 and 4yo) for the weekend so we could go away(and this is the 1st time weve ever done this) we were thrilled! Because they would be geeting in a lot of quality time, with thier only grandma! When we returned home, we came home to a house full of people.... not much of a suprise though because she does this all the time. She invites everyone over and then tells me theyre coming! As if that wasnt enough, we found out that her BOYFRIEND ( whom weve met TWICE) stayed the whole weekend and they slept together in our bed! She didnt even ask if it was ok ! Then they got a bbsitter sat night, That we and the kids have never met! so they could go out to dinner!!! WTF Im so pissed! And the worst part is my husband never has the BALLS to stand up to her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• If your husband won't establish the ground rules, then it's up to you!! You DO have a say in how your children are cared for. And quite simply, if your MIL cannot follow YOUR rules, then she is no longer allowed to watch them when either you or your husband are not around. If she offers to babysit, tell her honestly, that after what happened the last time, you are not comfortable with her decisions, and unless she can abide by YOUR instructions, you would prefer to get someone who will.

It sounds like your MIL has never been told "no" and she raised her son to be passive, which makes your job harder. But you ARE entitled to demand she do things the way you instruct, otherwise, she will lose out on future opportunities with her grandchildren.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Wow! I would talk to my DH and make sure we are on the same page, of this is UNACCEPTABLE!!! Then I would rip the hag a new one! You do not come into my home and disrespect me in such a manner! I would not stand for it and I would nip it in the but right now!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't say a thing but she would never be staying alone at my house again ever!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• wow I would be pissed.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would not allow her to watch my children again! A person in your home alone with your children that you've never met! That freaked me out, and they're not even my children! I would tell her how you feel about her behavior. And if she offers again, politely refuse. I can't believe this!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010