Do you recycle?

It is now "mandatory" where I live. They gave the town the bins for each house and we are charged a "recycle fee" regardless so yes I am saying we are forced lol

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, of course we recycle, we have been recycling for 20 years. We can bring ours to the dump ourselves for free, or pay a small fee for our garbage company to pick it up, so we do that. They have a state of the art facility which allows us to comingle everything, paper, plastic, glass, it all gets thrown in one bin. It wasn't always this way though, so its a fabulous treat to not have to sort. 20 years ago we had to sort clear glass, brown glass, green glass, paper, cardboard, etc. etc. etc. We recycle SO MUCH. For a family of 4 we only put out one can of actual garbage once a week, we recycle twice that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes we do both at home and at work
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• no we live in county not in town so we dont HAVE to. we do take all our pop cans/bottles in though. And I reuse newspaper and toilet paper rolls for our gerbil....
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• No. I would like to. But it's not even an option here. We have tried to get it locally, but the local government keeps fighting it, they don't see it as anymore than something that will cost them more money...

So instead I simply do what I can to reduce and reuse... Once I have the option to recycle, I will be overly excited to do it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, however it's not mandatory for you to recycle... It's mandatory for you to pay for the service. Whether you use it or not, is up to you! We do recycle though, even when we are traveling.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• sherribeare, I realize I don't HAVE to, but since I am CHARGED, no matter what, I feel like it is being forced on us since we pay the fee.
    kjbennett26

Comment by kjbennett26 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, we do. We also recycle things that aren't accepted in the normal recycle bins. My husband works for a computer company and a couple times a year they do a community electronic recycling thing and we'll save up any old electronics for that, he takes our old batteries to work, etc.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I always recycle cardboard and paper- it's the cans and bottles that I sometimes throw away because I'm just too damn lazy to wash them out.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We have a large recycle bin provided by the trash removal company, when they provided these our collection fee did not go up but they encourage you to use them. We recycle lots of things and return our bottles and cans for the pop deposit we pay. The kids love to be in charge of taking out the recycling so it is easy for us to do because they are the ones who will pull things out of the trash that we forgot could be recycled.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010