men that spend money even thou you agree to save

We agreed to save especially with us planning on going on a trip in Nov. I paid all our bills had like $150.00 to last 2 weeks- not much I know and he buys work pants for $45.00 that he could have waited on or found cheaper, then goes golfing this morning and spens $35.00- plus little things like beer- we now have only $60.00 and I havent even bought my sons school clothe syet or TP or gas- UGGGG- we have one debit card and he bought the pants online while I was at work and said golf was free (he works for a golf resort and they thought it was free). I am so irritated- he says "oh, well be fine"- anyone else w this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• I kind of have the same problem. I guess the thing that bothers me most is the hypocrosy of it, like if we buy something they freak out, but it is ok if they do it. You just need to sit down and say something to him about this is a group effort and he needs to make smarter decisions... before he ends up sleeping on the couch!
    tinykilah

Answer by tinykilah at 1:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• NO. My husband and I have always maintained "yours, mine and our" bank accounts, and our paychecks get automatically deposited into each respective account. We send about 50% of our paychecks to our joint savings account,15-20% of our paychecks to our "fun money" accounts, and the rest (about 30-35%) goes into our joint account for bills, investments, kids tuition, and big ticket items. Should either of us need money from the joint account we check with each other first.

By having our own separate "fun" accounts, we can spend that money however we want to (clothes/shoes, manicures, lunch/drinks with friends, etc.) without having to justify the spending! I HIGHLY recommend this system to every married couple--really, it makes life so much easier! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• No im kind of the spender LOL tho i have done good lately, he is the saver...
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My husband and I are both very responsible with money, but we are also in the financial management business. Suze Ormon actually recommends exchanging FICO scores to determine financial compatibility. I think that may be a bit extreme, but a lot of couple have issues with money.

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes I do understand. My honey thinks that because he works that he should be able to spend money on things as his "reward" he doesn't buy gadgets or anything but he likes to buy pricey food and always wants to eat out. I get tired of it because I feel we should be eating at home and eating out should be an occasional thing. But he is starting to realize that I mean business when I say we need to save. I'm tired of hearing him say we can't afford something but he is ok with turning around and spending the money trying to take us to eat. I am a sahm right now so as soon as I do get a job which should be soon, I will definitely have a system for our money. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't keep money from me. We treat it as it's ours and not his but I just would like for us to be responsible with it. I would say talk to him and put it in action. Put your foot down!!! GL :)
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 2:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010