Has anyone had an IVF over the age of 40?

Has any of you had an IVF over the age of 40 when you and your hubby both had been sterile previously? Was it successful? What were the pros? Cons? Would you do it again?

NavyWife0116

Asked by NavyWife0116 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My friend did, she went through 3 cycles and ended up pregnant with twins. It was expensive ($15,000 a cycle), and her insurance didn't cover most of it (I believe they did cover some of her medication, that was it.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Forgot to say that she wouldn't do it again, she's so incredibly happy with the babies she was able to have, she doesn't want to go through the cycles again. It was very emotional.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What do you mean been sterile previously? Are you using donor eggs and sperm?

I work for an Infertility specialist and we have had several sucessful IVF cases of couples over 40. It does not usually happen on the first cycle and that's frustrating for everyone involved. It is very expensive and insurance rarely covers any of it. Possibably some medications. It's a very, very emotional process and I've seen too many times where the woman is pregnant only to lose the baby a few weeks into the pregnancy. That's the hardest to watch happen.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Thanks ladies. When I say sterile previously, I am talking about a vasectomy and a tubaligation (laser surgery not tied tubes). Reversal of both is an option but it seems an IVF would be the best solution.
    NavyWife0116

Comment by NavyWife0116 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010