Have no CLUE what to do

My 2 1/2 year old son is starting up preschool/day care next month. He is not potty trained has no interest in it. Not even close to being ready. He throws tantrums when I try to put underwear on him then rips them off. Now his school does not require them to be potty trained (they train them) but they have a no diaper no pull up policy. IDK what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Send lots and lots of extra clothes and undies with him...put the undies on him and make him keep them on before he goes (not trying to sound mean- but your the parent, he's the child) OR find a different daycare :) Good Luck with whatever you do!
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 2:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't understand how it's possible that they don't require them to be potty trained but will not allow pull ups. Makes no sense to me.

and 2 1/2 is still very young for a boy to be expected to wear underwear. I'd revisit where you take him to daycare.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What is a no diaper/no pull up policy? If you don't agree with their rules/guidelines, is there another place that you can take him?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Believe me you are not the only parent that stresses about this issue when it comes to starting preschool. Boys ARE harder to train than girls, and it may be that your son simply isn't ready! I am surprised at the school though! I have never heard of a preschool for children under age 3 NOT being allowed to at least wear pull-ups! I guess if that is their policy then you will need to pack LOTS of extra underwear and clothing and plastic bags for the inevitable accidents.

Personally, if my child wasn't potty trained, I would forgo preschool until he was trained. My feeling, if he's not ready to be potty trained, he's not ready for preschool.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Why would they want untrained children running around without diapers. That's crazy. Can you wait and sign him up the second semester? Call the director and talk to her. I'm sure this is a very common problem.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• So many boys are not ready at this age!! Obviously it is not working and is upsetting hi. This will be nothing but a headache for you. If you can't send him in a pull up or diaper then I say wait. Does he really need to start preschool at 2 yrs old?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree that the school's policy sounds a little odd. Maybe they worry that pull-ups prolong the potty training process, but really that should be a parenting decision. If you feel you must stick with this place, I'll pull way back on trying to get him to wear underwear. We tried something with our son (he was just over 3 at the time) that helped with the power struggle. We gave him a choice at home of diaper, underwear, or naked butt (except at meals where he had to wear pants!). Naturally he chose to go without pants. We put a small potty under a towel in the room where he was playing and encouraged him to sit on it while watching TV. He seemed to like feeling in control and we had almost no accidents. It still took awhile to get him totally trained, but this helped diffuse the tension a lot. Summer is a great time to go naked too!
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 5:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I had no clue that not being ready potty trained would inhibit a child from being able to learn academics.
    skydedi

Answer by skydedi at 7:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010