how long would yopu ground him for?

my 8 year old got a bb gun for his birthday. he was only allowed to shoot in one direction (away from the house and people) and he had to check with us before he could use it.
we just found out that he took the gun without asking and shot out the window of a truck we have next to our house. this truck is brocken, but would be fix in about a year. now it will take longer because we will have to replace the window. we took away the gun and he will not get it back for at least a year. we also have grounded him. now DH and i are disagreeing on how long he should be grounded for. i think 2 weeks. he says one. during the one week he got to go play at peter pipper pizza for his brothers birthday party, and also watch some movies and play at my mom's house so DH and i could go out for dinner on my birthday. what do you think would be a good length for him to be grounded?

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 2:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ok- so my son shot out a neighbors window with an arrow while at another neighbors house-they also did not ask permission to use the bow and arrow SO... we did ground him for a week. We are as bad at grounding as you are-life keeps moving forward so sometimes you can not stick to your punishment without punishing the whole family (who would have stayed home with the grounded kid during brothers bday- I get it!) What we decided on is "the long talk" followed by some loss of freedom-yes, he use to be able to walk to the park but the fact that he showed poor judgment means he needs to stick close to home-friends over-you know- I am not in the mood to watch kids and he showed he can not be trusted without direct supervision-you get it right? After a few weeks he was like- I get it Mom-I really blew it and I have learned my lesson- it worked (for now!)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You bought it for him, you should be grounded! He's an 8 year old with a gun? You need to be more responsible. I wouldn't ground him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Not only should he be grounded for a week he should have to do extra chores around the house to help "pay" for the new window.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 2:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• IF his grounding happened to fall within the week that a number of family activities were already planned, he would have missed out on each and every one of them. It would have been FAR More effective to do so! Groundings only work short term, and they have to implemented immediately--you cannot delay them.

I think a week would have been sufficient especially if he missed out on all the fun. Now I think the effectiveness of the grounding has been lost, but I think you;re right in taking the gun away from him for a year. If he earns an allowance, or get's birthday money, I would be taking it to pay for the window on the truck!! It may sound harsh, but if you do this, I can all but guarantee he'll never disobey your orders again!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Way too young to have a BB gun. As for grounding, when a child is grounded they should miss out on all the fun and celebrations. Yes, this makes it more difficult for the parents. That doesn't really matter. Parenting isn't about what is easy for the parents.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would just take the gun & put it away until he is older & more responsible. I think 8 is too young to have a BB gun, his actions has proved that.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• One week. Long long punishments lose their umph after a while.

Answer by Bmat at 2:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I really don't know how long he should be grounded for, I can't get beyond the fact that you would give a child a bb gun. What on earth is the reasoning for that? Sorry, but that is just crazy to me, but then, I grew up with a kid that actually did shoot his eye out.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:23 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would make it one week, but in that week, he has to do enough chores to "pay" to replace the window. Pick an hourly wage, and let him work it off.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:24 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would pay the neighbor for the broken window, and have him be grounded until he'd done enough chores for me to work off the cost of replacing the window.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010