How do I get him to listen???

My son is 14 months old and will not listen at all.... I've tried timeouts, spanking and slapping the hand.... nothing works!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• welcome to the age where you wonder what possessed your child LOL...just whatever you decide to do, be consistant with it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It doesn't happen overnight. This is a training period, and you have to keep slapping his hand when he gets into things you don't want bothered. If you tell him "no" and he goes ahead and does it anyway, smack his bare leg. Sometimes mom spank but the child really doesn't feel the sting of his disobedience, so make sure he feels it. If he's your first child, you may have to experiment a little before you get it right. Training starts now and it will continue for as long as your child lives in your home. I think many young people expect this to be an easier assignment than it actually is. Parenting is a career, and it's on the job training, so keep telling him "no" and then reinforcing your no. He will eventually learn that in your home no does indeed mean no.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• timeouts, spankings and slapping don't work, so you can stop trying all of those things.
    At 14 months old your toddler is not developmentally able to "listen" to you. No more than he is developmentally ready to read. This is an exhausting age because they are getting around and into everything but you can't just tell them to stop and they will listen.
    What do you do? When he is doing something he is not supposed to do you calmly but firmly tell him "no", then you immediately get up and move him away from what he should not be doing and to what he should be doing. You will do that over and over for the next several months. It is a lot of work. Welcome to motherhood!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• "you have to keep slapping his hand when he gets into things you don't want bothered"
    You can do that if you want but it won't get him to learn or listen any sooner or any better and will likely just teach him to slap. Just tell him and move him. There is no reason to slap hit or spank your child to teach them how to behave. It doesn't help and it may make things worse.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It will make things a lot easier on both of you to minimize the need for "no" put things you don't want bothered out of his reach and replace with things he can explore. He is curious, as he should be. That's how babies learn about the world. A firm no at this point should be sufficient. I can't imagine time out for a 14 month old. He's perfectly normal, momma. This isn't the time to push for a perfectly behaved child. He's just not ready yet. Just keep doing your best and enjoy that precious boy. This time doesn't last long, and you'll miss it when it's over.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• try to calm down! He is still a baby. 14 month olds won't learn their boundaries by getting hit or time outs. At this age, if he is touching something he shouldnt or whatever he is doing that's naughty, you need to distract him and focus his attention elsewhere. You have to go down to his level, try to speak in simple words and say "no touch", "stop", "LOOK! a truck! *as you take the pen away*"....when he is older you can do time outs. My son is 27 months old and if he doesnt listen after numerous warnings I take him to his room for a few minutes. Works every time. I have spanked him once and will NEVER do it again.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• *rolls eyes* slapping on the hand will work, they do understand, after so many times they'll figure it out. my son used to get into the electrical sockets. after i slapped his hand away, told him no, and took him away from it a few times, he never touched them again. and he was *gasp* 6 months old!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree with maggiemom2000 and jdanielle82! You are expecting too much from your baby, and it is really unfair to be punishing (especially slapping! OMG!) when the baby is still a BABY and does not understand the point of the punishment. Please, please be patient. It really does get better. A firm NO, remove the baby from whatever is forbidden, and BE CONSISTENT. My 19 month old knows what things are off limits (there aren't many) and will point and say "no, no" to them - the trash, the electrical outlets, etc. At 14 months I NEVER thought he would get the picture, but he did. Now he is on to bigger and better mischief!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 4:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Armywife, wouldn't have been easier to just put outlet covers on, and not have to hit your child?

getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 4:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• DON'T PUNISH TEACH! if you don't want him to get into something tell him why and move it out of reach don't get mad because your 2 year old doesn't understand, reputation is best, always be patient and don't get let him see you get mad he may see it as a game! good luck mama

Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 6:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010