a qustions about my 11 month old having diahrrea

she is 11 months old and has had diahhrea for well over a month now and she has it up to 5 times a day it goes right throw her clothes.Her doctore has made me collect her poop and bring it in and those test came back fine.Now they want me to bring her Boston.. I dont if this is really nessery to go to Boston.Some people think its bc she is teething some others think it her formula which she will be getting off of this month and going to milk.I was wondering if any body else has gone through this.
I'm really lost for words about this I even did the brat diet too.I just dont know what is causing her to poop so much.
Thanks in advance for the advice

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 2:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Health

• My DD is 2.5 years old and has had about 5 solid poops in her life! lol. Have they considered a Fructose(fruit sugar) intolerance? What about Lactose? My doctor had me try eliminating fruit for 1 week then milk for 1 week to see if there was any changes. Also Have you considered using a pro-biotic powder? They have them in the pharmacy. I use that when DD's gets to bad and it helps. Now DD eats Activia regularly and that has helped also. I would ask a ped about giving that to an 11 month old though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i think an elimination diet, or food allergy testing would be a great idea. i also agree with probiotics.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Sounds like a food allergy for sure. My 3 yr old DD has food allergies and the poop always tells when she has had something she is allergic to. Dairy is a good first possibility. While probiotics are good, I don't agree with activia as the source as it contains high amounts of sugar which actually counter the benefit of the good bacteria. Plain greek yogurt has MUCH less sugar and has good bacteria. Or you can get a probiotic supplement.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If it were me, I would have two options: 1) Make an appointment with reg. doc for a FULL CONSULTATION re: you daughter. Taking a list of questions for doc to answer. And ask specifically why going to Boston is necessary. The doc may wish to rule out any serious intestinal issues which is why Boston was suggested. 2) Get a second opinion.

With both options, I would also ask doc to refer you and daughter to a nutritionist and an allergist. The allergist could of course find exactly what foods (including milk products) are causing it and the nutritionist can come up with dietary recommendations (that your daughter likes/enjoys) that will help to alleviate the diarrhea. In the meantime, it would be wise (if you are not already doing so) to give your daughter Pedialyte (comes in popsicle form too, so she'll be happy about that). It will keep her from being dehydrated (caused by diarrhea).
    warmcoffee

Answer by warmcoffee at 11:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2010