Help with nebulizers

I'm looking for ideas on using a nebulizer on an 11 mo old. My daughter throws screaming fits through the entire process. We've put the machine in a closet, talking, singing, sudden noises... no luck.

anng.atlanta

Asked by anng.atlanta at 1:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Health

• Try rocking her to sleep and do the treatment while she is asleep, I dont know what kind of attachment they gave you, but if it's one that goes in her mouth then ask them for the oxygen mask attachment. It's way easier to use.
    musiclovingmomm

Answer by musiclovingmomm at 1:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I agree with musiclovingmom.
    justplainsuz

Answer by justplainsuz at 2:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I had the same problem when my middle one was a baby. The doctor said it was actually more effective with her screaming and crying, said it made more of the medicine get to her lungs. The idea of giving it to her when she's sleeping is genius, but usually they're awake when they need it. A piece of advice I wish I was told before it happened, albuterol dries out the teeth making the person who uses it more likely to get a cavity. Try to get her to take a little of drink of something after she's done with the treatment to wet her mouth again. Good luck, it will get easier!

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• neither one of my boys can stand their nebbies..so i use just the plastic hose that is suppost to go in an older kid (person's mouth)..cap off one end so the meds only come out one side, and just hold it in front of their face, so that they can breath it, and not have to feel like its covering their face (with the mask) or having an object in their mouth to breath..btw my boys are 6yrs and 10months (they both use theirs numorus times daily) i tried the whole sleeping trick the machine kept waking them up and scareing them more..good luck
    amanda37860

Answer by amanda37860 at 7:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Thanks amanda. We've been using that same technique with the taped-up mouthpiece and it seems to work a little better. Also, we have a stuffed animal dog that barks when you squeeze it to distract her. It sort of works.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It will get easier I promise..it will soon just become part of her routine..If u dont mind me asking is she on it for the long haul or just cause of a cold or something?.my oldest has been on his since he was a couple months, and he gets his own meds, puts them in and holds it himself he's so used to it, the baby knows when it comes time for his to, i let him chew on the tube (he has no teeth yet, so that seems to help distract him for a min) or i always have a basket of toys to keep beside me for him to play with to keep him distracted..oh and i agree with the lady above me, always wash out their mouth, and wash their face when ur done..their lil cheeks and nose will get chapped
    amanda37860

Answer by amanda37860 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• She did a little better after the daycare gave her two treatments. They also suggested singing and music, which helped a bunch.

Tess was diagnosed with RSV this weekend, but she's on the mend. We're only supposed to give the treatments one more day. But I like to keep track of this for future use too.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Get rid of the asthma and you won't need a nebulizer. I got rid of my son's asthma.

Read this article and see what you think...

Asthma Kills 11 People Every Day in the U.S.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1089149/asthma_kills_11_people_every_day_in.html
    Neminly

Answer by Neminly at 2:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2008