Neighbors fighting, took off leaving two children home alone..What would you have done?

I understand families fight and can get very loud. Three years ago a family purchased the house next to mine. Nice family three children 16, 8, & 3. My children play at their house vice versa. I have noticed that the husband is very controlling and in the past year a lot of fighting has been going on. Yesterday, I heard screaming my neighbor was in her truck trying to leave her husband was running after the truck and jumped into the back of the truck. They took off for like 10 minutes. I went next door to check on the kids the older son was gone just the two younger children were home. They were so scared and upset. I wanted to bring them to my house but feared I would piss off the dad. I talked to the little girl and told her to stay in the house with her brother. I let her know that I was going to watch her house. The mom comes home alone so upset, so I asked if I can take her kids she agreed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Hum, I'm not sure what I would have done in a situation like that. Sounds like they might be going through a divorce or getting close to that stage. Since it sounds like you're friends with your neighbor, maybe you should talk to her and see if you can come up with a plan should this happen again in the future.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You did just fine. And very nice of you to offer to take the kids for her as well.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• ya i dont think you should let your kids go over there any more and I really wouldnt be worried about p/o the dad of anyone else for that matter- but im a momma bear to any baby. But i do think you did a good thing- if it continues to happen i would call the cops after taking the childrent to your home so you know they are safe. GL momma!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 2:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i think you are a great neighbor! more people should be like you! helping and not reporting to the police, that is.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think u did exactly the right thing, but i agree with PPs that you should try and talk to the mom about what's going on and see if there's anything you can help with, and if something were to happen like that again that you take the kids to your house for awhile until things cool off. Just so she knows that theyre being taken care of and not left home alone :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If it were me, I would have went next door and got the children. Then I would have called the police. It sounds like these children's dad is abusive to the Mom at best. I would have done this in hopes that the police could have helped her to get help to get her and the children somewhere safe.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would have done the same only I would have told them the dangers of what they did.

Answer by older at 2:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• There is nothing more you can do , just once in a while pat yourself on the back and know you did the right thing. Too much worrying isn't going to change that situation. Just know you did your best. ( and you have your own children. )
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I totally agree with HotMama330
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• since you shouldnt force families apart by calling the police and such, the only thing you can do is offering your services and tell the mother that if it happens again that you MIGHT be tempted to call the police so the things that will go through her head might be better choices next time but if you were in that situation and you were in the one fighting constantly with your loved one, you would hope that your nieghbors wouldnt destroy your family
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010