How much do you spend on groceries each week for a family of 4?

Someone made the comment to me that they eat well on 700 a month and that seemed crazy to me! I would love 700 a month to spend on just food!

We have 60 a week for food, pets and toiletries and detergents. Sooo We eat crap. Plus whatever the food bank supplements us with... which is often doughnuts, cookies, bread, potatoes, a few limes or oranges, cereal, bologna and sometimes canned or other fresh fruit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• 50 a week, family of 4
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I spend about 150-200 a week for a family of 4. That includes everything, laundry soap, paper products, toiletries, diapers, etc. We severely limit processed foods and I almost never buy red meat as its too expensive. I shop by the circular, clip coupons, only buy on sale, and bulk up on sale when I can, but the bottom line is that we live 1 hour away from NYC and it is just EXPENSIVE here. I think its definitely relative to where you live.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We spend around $150 per week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We eat well on about 80 a week - family of 4 (3 teenagers and two of them boys). We absolutely are not eating "crap", we are eating very well on that and it's not "supplemented" by any outside source.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 2:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I spend normally $100 a week for a family of 5. BUT that is after all my coupons are taken off! I'm one of those annoying people that has $20-$30 worth of coupons a week! I also go through the sales ad and match up coupons to what is on sale so we eat pretty good and normally it's a variety of foods.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 2:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well, I spend between $20-25 a week (and that includes paper and personal care/cleaning products as well) for a family of 2, so I'd assume about double that amount could suffice. It would be really nice to have a bit more - we're really scant at times - but it sure can be done. And we eat pretty healthy too.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I know, sometimes I feel bad when I see what others are posting about (what are to me now) fancy meals. Since my husband was killed, we now eat very frugally. I have to be creative!
    Don't feel bad, you're not the only one - and being frugal is a skill you're giving your children! I know it's frustrating sometimes, but other times? I enjoy the challenge!
    (and what you described? isn't really "crap" - you're doing a good job taking care of your family!)
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We spend about $125 a week. But we buy a lot of fresh meats and such. We hardly ever eat frozen foods.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We spend about 80-100 a week for our family of four (me, DH, our 6 yo son, and 13 month old daughter)
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I spend close to 200.00 on a family of 5, then go back for other assorted items during the week, so I end up spending over 250.00

Answer by older at 2:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010