In my tummy!

I'm almost 33 weeks pregnant, and my son will move like crazy for 5 to 10 min, then nothing at all for a couple of hours, and then maybe very lite for a couple hours. Is this normal, or should I be concerned? He used to kick hard a lot more consistently weeks 28- 30.

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 3:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• He's probably losing a lot of space in there with how big he's getting now, but I'd call the doctor to mention it anyway. A lack of activity could be a sign that they need to do something, but it's probably nothing. But I think you'll feel better if you talk to your doctor about it.

Good luck mama! :)
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Try drinking something very COLD like milk or orange juice. Lay down and wait a few minutes, you will feel the baby move. It was told to do this by my doctor when I was worried about not movement by my twins. It worked every time. If you are still worried, call your doctor.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Is completely normal as you get toward the end, and he becomes more, and more cramped.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Totally normal! The space is there is becoming limited as others have said above and he's probably snoozin away in there! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Normal and consider yourself lucky! lol I'm 28 weeks and my daughter is awake and kicking at least once an hour for about 10-20 minutes, even throughout the night.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• They say that as space becomes limited for your baby then they aren't as active as they possibly once were. At this point your doctor may have recommended doing kick counts. The way that this works is that you pick a certain time when baby is more active and see how many kicks you can count. Generally, count 10 kicks and see how long it takes from the first kick to the 10th one. Record it. If you notice a significant change and you are concerned then call your healthcare provider. I don't think every doctor probably tells their patients to do this so find out if this is an appropriate method for you. Also, I find that my baby moves more at night than during the day. My baby is more active during hours when I am normally asleep. The way I can make him more active is by eating something warm (like soup) and drinking something really cold (like ice water, tea, milk, some Coke) to get the baby moving.
    LevisWife8587

Answer by LevisWife8587 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Also, I had to be monitored for high BP one day and I was hooked up to a monitor that measured babies heartbeat and movements and he moved more than what I actually felt. I could hear it on the monitor sometimes but I couldn't personally feel it every single time. Maybe you are experiencing this. To ease your mind, call your healthcare provider and just inquire about should this be a concern for you. It might make you feel better to know what they think.
    LevisWife8587

Answer by LevisWife8587 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• well, this is my 5th, and as they get bigger, they lose room to move, so it will seem as if they are moving less!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• He's running out of room, as long as you still feel him move you are fine!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010