how can I put my 16 month old in his crib?

I've been co-sleeping with my son and we breastfeed him once to get him to sleep. I am planning on weaning him out of my bed and off my boob. lol... any suggestions? I had his in his room before but a bed change ruined it all and now we're back to how it was before. All his pediatrician tells me to do is have his dad put him to sleep... but that doesn't work either. he either wants to play all night long or screams cause he knows I'm hiding in my room.
I am at a loss. I want my bed back! lol
please help

chscris04

Asked by chscris04 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know it's going to be hard but you have to put your foot down. Keep at it. You do his nightly routine with him, and put him to bed. Give him a kiss and lay him down. When he starts to cry don't go in. Unless he seems like he's hurting himself. Trust me, I'm having a hard time with my last one. It's hard to listen to them cry. Some nights I sit in my room and cry right along with my youngest. I know it's for the best for him and myself. Good luck!
    mom3cutieboyz

Answer by mom3cutieboyz at 10:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would put him in his bed. You can just let him cry it will be good for him to learn that when it is bed time it is bed time! Everyone says you cant spoil babies when they are really really little when you frist give birth but that is crap. They learn and they learn fast. So I would just let him cry it out. He will start to learn and just start to go to sleep when you put him in there. He will be ok.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 1:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Well luckily I didn't have this problem because I never started the co-sleeping and boy am I thankful! :) But I did have a problem with my daughter fighting sleep HORRIBLY! She was younger than yours but I did what the others suggested and just let her cry it out. She eventually got over it and now she just goes right to sleep, tells me night-night and everything, but it sure wasn't easy getting here! The main thing I found with her is, DON'T GO BACK IN! Once you lay them down and do the routine and walk out, make that final (unless it sounds like they're getting hurt). Good luck!!
    mommy2hallie07

Answer by mommy2hallie07 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• thanks ladies.. we're gonna give it a try tonight and see how it goes. he hasn't taken a nap today either so I know he'll be exhausted at bedtime.
    chscris04

Answer by chscris04 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2008