Was I rude on Facebook?

My MIL updates her status about buying a new Iphone and that she has 14 days to return it and for people to convince her to keep it or get rid of it. My MIL is unemployed (on unemployment for 1 year) and we are co-signed on a rental house for her. Her rent is very high (half of unemployment). She is trying to get a home based daycare going. She is almost 60. She only has one customer (her daughter) Also, her bridge has broken and she "has to" have three dental implants done in the very near future. Almost nothing for retirement. I think this decision is asinine. How much would an Iphone cost monthly? She got a good deal $150. I'm sure there's a contract. So my comment was "probably not the best idea. But what do I know? I'm the queen of thrift." It's absolutely ridiculous that she is even entertaining this. I think I held back but still, was that a rude comment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• I think you were way too nice in your comment.
    I think that she's being ridiculous. That she should be working hard to save money, not spend it on things she doesn't need.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You know her situation better than anyone. Its more flippant than rude. But I'd have posted the same thing if I were in your situation.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i don't think it's rude. you gave your honest opinion in a kind way.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• ditto twinsplus2more...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Rude...Why be a kill joy lol....Is she buying random things all the time?Spending money like crazy on useless items like hair,nails and other crap? I dont see the big deal
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It is HER money, I would stay out of it. Why cause a problem between you? Just my opinion. Good luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It is HER money, but she INVITED input, so I might have said the same thing. I had a situation recently where I wanted to "say something" to someone on facebook. I didn't. Couldn't think of anything as subtle as yours.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If you said it to her without any attitude in your voice,then I don't feel that you were out of line.Do you have Cricket where you live?Or a pre-paid phone if she doesn't use it much.an she get a land line thru her cable co.? Just a thought.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 3:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Nope! You were too nice. She sounds very irresponsible. I'm almost 60 and know full well the reality of being this age...she's not living in reality.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I dont think it was rude at all
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010