AM I mopping the "wrong" way??

I admit I don't mop as often as I "should" and perhaps if I mopped a little bit more often it won't be so bad, but seriously am I doing something wrong??

I vacuum first!
Then mop with standard rope mop (because I can wash the mop head).

After the floor is dry I HAVE to vacuum again because the act of mopping kicks up all this grim, and large pieces that no matter what I do don't/can't get the mop to pick it up.

I would love it if I could just mop and be done, but it's not! I have mopped a little bit more frequent before but it still doesn't matter I have still run a vacuum or broom after mopping. The only way I see around that is I mopped perhaps daily, but I'm not doing that.

So AM I doing something wrong? Or is it like this for everyone that uses a "traditional" mop?

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i think there is no substitute for scrubbing a floor by hand! I rarely do this myself, i use a steam mop daily...and sometimes more! i always vacuum first. a broom does not get everything out of the grout lines in my floor!
    i think the steam mops are really great!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Lol, it seems like I find all kinds of little junk when I mop too, no matter how thoroughly I sweep. I have hardwood floors with small cracks between the boards, so I think stuff hides in there. Maybe try broom sweeping the edges, as a vacuum doesn't always get to the wall, corner.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Maybe the peices are coming out of your mop.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I sweep with a broom and dustpan first. Then I use a Swiffer mop every day except Sunday, when I use a bowl of soapy water and a rag. I then scrub my kitchen floor to make sure it's nice and clean.

I've used a traditional mop in the past, though I've never vacuumed in replacement of a broom.. Ever. Maybe if you mopped more often you wouldn't have this problem. Not trying to be rude <3, but we only have a 14 month old and rarely do outside activites right now and our floors are disgusting every time I mop, which is almost always daily. I really get to see the dirt come up when I scrub the floor by hand.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I also sweep and then mop. I would try that rather than vacuuming. What type of floors do you have?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I use a steam mop every other day at least, sometimes every day if it had been raining outside and the floor gets really nasty. I always sweep first and then mop.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I do my floors on my hands and knees on Mondays and swifter wet it the rest of the week. If you have a vinyl tile floor or any type of flooring with seams, you really should not wet mop it. Tooo much water is swished around on the floor that seeps down below the tiles. Doing it manually keeps the amount of water limited and will cause less damage in the end.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I sweep and mop with a steam cleaner.  The pads go in the washing machine when I'm done.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I sweep first then mop
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Vacuum and then hand mop and hand dry- both stone and wood floors.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010