How often do you do family things together?

My DD is 4 1/2 and she is growing up so fast! I am scared that I am going to look back and say "I wish had done this, this, & this with her". My husbands works and he is usually piddling on something after he gets home. And then he likes to spend his time at the lake on the weekends. Which is fine but not every weekend. He likes to ski, wakeboard etc. And my DD can't do any of these things. So I wish we did more as a "FAMILY"!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• We spend 99% of non work time together as a family

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Once a week we do family activities.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• In my opinion, everything done as a family is family time. Doesn't matter what it is you are doing as long as you are doing it with your family, it is family time. With 4 teenagers in the house, all of us with different schedules, we always make time to spend together.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, you will regret not having done more with your kid for sure, she can't do all the things hubby does in the lake, but she can give fishing a try or maybe picnics in the lake. My three kids are grown now but we still get together once a week for dinner.

Answer by older at 3:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We spend alot of time together as a family. it doesn't have to be 'out' DOING something for it to be fun family time. Bake together, read books together, snuggle up on the couch and watch movies together, go for bike rides together, go for hikes together, if your DH likes to go to the lake why don't u try teaching your daughter how to fish, or just playing on the shore. your DH needs to be reminded that he'll get to do all the 'fun' things again when your dd is older too and then he can teach her to do them with him. they DO grow up way too fast and cherishing this time with her is the most important thing!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Everyday. When my SO gets home, we all get together on the couch and watch one of our favorite movies.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We do something daily.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• When the weather changes what do you all do then? Fall, winter? For the fun times, do you have a group in a library with days/ hours for times as story hours, if you're stuck at the lake, take them for hikes, pick berries, have them float cool things (invent small boats, and float them and give an award for best boat in lake. OR ON THE LAKE DO THESE>>>>>>

picnic
    hike
    pick berries
    swimming !!
    Find worms, caterpillars, salamanders
    canoe, boat, -- go in a one man canoe, kayak
    pop some corn]
    fireworks
    sparklers.
    ice cream cones
    library groups
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I was raised on a lake in the summer, we would do all those on the list, plus, we had floating inflated tubes, bean bags, a sand-box, berry bushes, snacks, firepit nights, we sang songs, and told ghost stories.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Rarely....hubby just lays on the couch after he get home from work. We have a huge age difference with our older boys 16/17 and the little one who is 5. Me and my little guy do stuff everyday from 6:30 until 9:30...we are never apart.... left eye twitching...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010