Do u buy LOTS of groceries once a month or do smaller weekly grocery trips?

We have about $440 a month to spend on groceries and i usually stock up on everything we're out of or will need throughout the month at the beginning of the month. I don't cut coupons but i try really hard to shop around for the best deals but it seems like we use up our food budget faster and faster at the beginning of the month and then we're scrambling for meal ideas at the end of the month. How can i make the most out of our food budget while still keeping our cupboards stocked? I know there are some things we could cut back on (soda, chips, water bottles, etc) but its really hard to just cut em off cold turkey :P Plus with the kids home all summer i think we have gone through twice as much food as normal... So what do your grocery lists look like? and some cheap easy meal ideas would be great too!

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 3:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My SO buys groceries on his way home for work everyday. He says" the fresher the better."
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I shop daily, buy no "junk" food, and shop mostly the reduced produce, the day-old bakery, the scratch and dent cans, and the store specials. I spend about $3-5 a day. I also have a little garden and grow a lot of nice veggies.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We generally go to the store twice a month.

And we buy everything. Fresh fruit and veggies, juice, few canned goods, dried fruits, rice, bread, meat, frozen veggies, veggie meats, milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, soda, oatmeal, chips, snacks and crackers, etc.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• do smaller weekly grocery trips.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm bad. I'm at the store like every other day or something like that. I can't keep meat in the freezer and don't really like to anyway so I have to buy it the day of or a day or two before I need it, and I'm really bad at meal planning and don't decide what to make until the night before or even that day.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 3:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I do our big "stock-up" grocery trips twice per month. My husband will pick-up any necessaries that we run out of in between those trips.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I try to do the coupon and sale shopping but to be completely successful you have to go every week and I have not perfected going every week! I do go every 2 weeks and I spend about $200 to $250 depending on how many staple and much dog food I am purchasing.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We shop daily to every 2 days.

We buy fresh . Our diets consist of a lot of fresh fruits, fresh vegies, fresh dairy, and lean meat (mostly chicken.. no beef or pork eaten at my house....) We buy hardly any canned goods. And dry goods are usually bean, rice, flour. Breads we buy at a local bakery so we buy fresh bread every 2 days.

Shopping for us is easy though. We live walking distance to: 4 major grocery stores (safeway, freddy's, whole foods, trader joes), walking distance to the farmer's market (2x a week), and walking distance to tons of small family stores/ethnic grocery stores.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I get groceries every 2 weeks, but we always have to go to the store about once a week to pick up items that we ran out of or forgot during the main grocery shopping trip. I always make up a 2 week menu including all 3 meals & snacks. I make my grocery list based on off this. Although I always seem to pick up a few items not on the list, it helps me to have a list. I always use coupons & buy sale items too. Certain items always go more quickly than others at our house (snacks & fruits). Maybe if you could just stock up on things like meats, canned goods, and other nonperishable side items, you would just have to make quick trips to buy milk, eggs, bread, and snacks. I always freeze the meat I buy to make it last longer & when I find something like chicken breasts on sale, I stock up because I know we will use it.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I shop weekly, only buy what we don't have 3 months of, and only when it's free or near free by combining sales and coupons. In addition to that are the few things that cannot be preserved for long term storage (eggs, etc) and any fresh produce and meat that is marked down cheap enough to be worth buying. Since we don't use any processed garbage or canned things, it's a lot cheaper than if we had to worry about stocking up on canned salt with a hint of veggies and boxes of one meal portions that cost 5 times what the ingredients inside the box cost.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:47 PM on Aug. 9, 2010