How doI get my almost 5 year old to stay dry at night?

My one daughter will be 5 next month and we can't get her to stay dry at night. We limit her liquids, we get her up when we go to bed to take her potty again, and she still wakes up wet!! I have asked her before why she doesn't get up in the middle of the night if she has to go and she say she "too tired"!! I just don't know what to do anymore. We have offered special things if she wakes up dry, we have told her we were going to take stuff away and neither work!! HELP!!! I don't know what to do anymore and I'm completely frusterated over the whole thing!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is nothing you can do. Her body simply isn't ready yet. Put her in pull ups, or Goodnights and leave it alone. You can drive her crazy with this and there is nothing you can do. It can last for years. Some kids are very deep sleepers. We tried everything with my son, medication, alarms, I took him every night. Finally he did it when his body was ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My almost 7 year old is still wetting the bed. Testing has come back fine. He's just a heavy sleeper. We change his sheets and blankets everyday and he must strip and remake his own bed. His doctor says he'll outgrow it sooner or later.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I know how this is, my daughter was the same way. It took getting teased when she had a sleep over that prompted her to do something about it. My daughter then went thru a period of time where she had bladder infections. What it amounted to was her bladder wasn't as big as a normal 7 year old's bladder and holding it thru the night was too much. Also, she was holding it quite long during the day too. She worked her way thru it though it and is a very healthy confident teenager now.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I will add that while my daughter worked thru this she also was taught how to clean up if she had an accident. Sometimes she would wake me but then she went in and changed her sheets and cleaned her mattress and so forth. Even would let me know that she had to take a shower. It takes a few years and even today at the age of 15, sometimes I hear her wake up in a panic because she woke up feeling like she was going to wet her bed and she doesn't want that. It can be traumatic for some kids but she knew her mom was always there for her if she needed me to be.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son had the same problem, he was a heavy sleeper, and still is to this day. Keep up with limiting the liquids, after dinner should be her last for the day. Also no caffeine drinks, such as iced tea or sodas. That can actually increase the desire to wet the bed. Once the bladder gets big enough to hold a night time full she will stop. I know it can be frustrating but it will upset her to know you are upset and can prolong the bed wetting. Instead let her know you support her and want her to try her best, and let her know she will get it one day.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• This is not within her control right now. Some children are dry early and some are not. Stay calm, relax, and have her wear overnight pullups.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If a pull up doesn't hold it all try putting a sanitary pad or even Men's Depend pads in the pull up, that helps control the leaking, also I keep a waterproof pad under the sheet to protect the matress.
    jasonsmommom

Answer by jasonsmommom at 10:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• all about maturity.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010