Do you think that legally being married makes a difference in a relationship?

My SO and I have been together for 3yrs. I was married for 7 before that. My SO will refer to me as his son's stepmother and seems to think of himself as my husband. However, I feel there is a difference in commitment. We are not married and he does not talk about getting married but seems to want the title and benefits without actually legally committing to me. I'm not sure I want to get remarried but I don't think of him as my husband because legally he is not. Having been married before and having this relationship now I feel there is a difference. What do you think? Am I being too literal or am I justified in expecting a full commitment from him if he wants the title?

KandDsmama1

Asked by KandDsmama1 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• you're justified.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• There absolutely is a difference, yes.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• There IS a difference.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• There's a difference.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• SO and I have also been together for 3 years. I have been engaged twice, never married. He's never been engaged. We kinda sorta discuss marriage but we are happy as we are.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I do...believe there is a difference. i do believe that you are justified too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• there is a diff...
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I know what you mean. Me and my SO have been together for 3 1/2 years and have a baby girl together and pregnant with another right now. I was married for 11 years before. I have most defidently have chosen to never be married again, and he agrees that he doesn't want to be married. We don't call each other husband and wife (it's just a little odd to me considering we're not married), though his whole family refers to us as husband and wife and says that even though it's not on paper that we mind as well be anyway. IDK, I let them see it how ever they want and just blow it off.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• you are definatly justifed and yes there is a difference
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, there is a difference.
    Queen2245

Answer by Queen2245 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2010