Is this country truly free? Free of Racsim, Discrimination, is there equal opportunity here?

THE LAND OF THE FREE, THATS WHAT WE CALL THIS RIGHT? AMERICA!!! Equal Opportunity, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. Or is it all just over rated. What do you think about racism in this world, has it changed or is it just discreet? Is the USA a place of equal opportunity?

Mrs_Kay

Asked by Mrs_Kay at 2:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe that there is blatant racism, sexism, and discrimination of all sorts. I really don't think that it is discreet.

We will never get around it because it is hard to prove.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Hell no this country isn't free, and there is no equal oppertunity here. I wish ther was but i know from experiance theres not. I don't want to sound like a b*tch but my people got f'ed over too many times.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Let me tell you a short story I had 2 good friends once one was a Italian female and the other was a Caucasian female and of course you know Im African American and they both loved African American men. And as our friendship grew and grew I never thought we looked at each other as Italian, Caucasian or African American I mean at least I didnt look at it that way I just looked as us as great friends but one day we found out that the Caucasian female was pregnant by a African American guy. So her choices were either get an abortion or move out so she moved in with me and my family and 2 months later she had a miscarriage so her parents accepted her back into there home after a few more weeks. And Ill be DAMNED if I think it was only 4 months later the same female ended up pregnant again but this time by a Caucasian male.
    Mrs_Kay

Answer by Mrs_Kay at 2:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• And her parents accepted her and embraced her and when I asked her what changed their minds she told me that her family wouldnt except a mixed baby because the baby would always be seen as being African American and that the guy would forever be apart of her life and thats not what they wanted for her. And because the guy was a friend of mine she was forbidden to hang out with me anymore and her family told our other friends family and she stopped coming around to. So when will it change. NEVER
    Mrs_Kay

• far from free. and yes racism and segregation still there but its not blacks not liking whites or turning somthing around on someone that is white or vice versa...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Do you think discrimination and racism would go away if people quit bringing it up? I don't like people who don't like me because of my skin color, and I'm sure some don't like me because I don't like them because they don't like me because.................................................................
    It's almost like a scab, it will never heal if you keep picking at it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• There is plenty of racism and discrimination. The problem is there is an overt assumption that all the racism is coming from white people, which is not true. There are just as many blacks, latinos, asians, etc who are prejudiced against not only white people, but other races as well. As long as people keep acting as if it is solely a white and black problem, nothing ever gets solved. In order to work on a problem, you first have to admit it exists.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• no, no , no....... dont get me wrong i love my country but its really jacked up right now!!!! all that stuff is CLEARLY still present... i see it EVERYDAY!!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• if it really was free noone would ever ask if it was
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Nothing in this world is FREE. We will always have these issues looming around because people are never satisfied and therefore always throw out the cards.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2008