Which is more important

the rules of your religion or the actions of all religions?

It's that same circular argument. Person 1 says or does something that is in direct contradiction to the tenets of their faith. Person 2 points out they are violating the rules of their faith. Person 1 defends that action by saying people of other faiths do it too. What does it matter what other religions do when it's YOUR religion that has the rule you are breaking? If you don't want to follow that rule, change religions, don't justify it by saying other religions do it too and they are just as bad as you are for doing so. You are the only one breaking a rule. Why is it so hard to acknowledge your rule breaking instead of trying to deflect the blame to others who don't have to follow the rule in the first place? It's like a kid with a curfew caught out late with friends who don't have one. It's not their fault you have a curfew.

Is they do it too a defense?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i think it's pretty stupid to call yourself a follower of any law or religion if you make a conscious choice not to follow the rules of it. one of the basics of maturity is taking personal responsibility for your actions and choices, not blaming them on others, not projecting on others, etc. i believe in personal responsibility, which means that i am responsible for making sure i act with integrity by following the beliefs that i hold. this means that no one gets to tell me if i am doing it "right" and vice versa. however, when one presents herself as a christian and makes a point of "being" that, she should expect that others will judge her actions based upon what she presents and a closely held belief of her heart. if i tell you i believe in civil rights and run around calling people racial expletives, well then i'm full of shit...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Idk I try not to break one of my "rules" but if I do I know I did it I dont see why anyone would try and put the blame on someone else.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• IDK? For me, if I break a "rule" of my religion, that is my fault. It is not ok because others do it. That sounds kind of rediculous and brings to mind the old.."if all your friends jumped off a bridge.." saying we were told when we were kids. Just because others do it, does not mean we should.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 4:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Hey I don't mind that as much as I hate because god does. Though I do agree with you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• in my opinion, actions.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• in my opinion, actions.

Other people doing things that are against your religion is more important than you doing things against your religion?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Actions of all... Laying down rules, even knowing the rules, means nothing if you aren't acting by them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

Maybe I need to reword this question - why on earth does it matter if a Pagan breaks a rule of the Christian faith that is only applicable to Christians?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• NP it doesn't matter if you break a rule of a faith that is not your own. That is the point to many miss.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Why is it so hard to acknowledge your rule breaking instead of trying to deflect the blame to others who don't have to follow the rule in the first place?

Pride.  People don't like to be told they are wrong.  But one of the Spiritual Works of Mercy is to Admonish the Sinner.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2010