Any advice on working while expecting? I am 5 months..... I am a CNA....and thinking of working for Home Health Care....

Starsluv

Asked by Starsluv at 4:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Will you be doing heavy lifting in the Home Health Care setting? I am 7 months pregnant and looking for a job right now. I worked at a daycare and most of the kids there I was able to lift with no problems because I worked with ages 6 weeks to 4 years. I had to quit that job because my immune system was low and I was always sick with a high fever. What would your duties be during pregnancy?
    LevisWife8587

Answer by LevisWife8587 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• 11 years ago I used to drive a semi truck to California and back while I was pregnant. I worked until the last minute. I finally had to take leave on that Friday and had my son the following Tuesday. The work was a little strenuous but I had a wonderful Ob who was very concerned considering my job but monitored me carefully. My son was very healthy with no ill effects. Talk to your doctor and make sure your employer knows of your pregnancy and its limitations re heavy lifting and such. As for me, I loved being able to get out and was able to maintain a good weight since I was so active.

CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 4:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I dont think mothers should work, so you know my answer
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If you work in a nursing home, usually employers will not let a pregnant woman work due to the heavy lifting. In a home health care setting, depending on the resident, you will still have to be doing patient-lifting (unless your employer agrees that while 'you' are on duty there will be no patient-lifting (and this is rare). Employers are aware of the liabilities and I have known of any who would employ one who is pregnant. I was pregnant with my daughter when I was working in a nursing home and the Director of Nursing would not allow me to continue to work, but that I could return anytime after the birth with doctor's permission. Even though you may feel energetic and in good health, some consequences of the risks while working as a CNA in regards to heavy lifting, are not known until you are in the delivery room (employer's experience from a previous pregnant employee). Best wishes.
    warmcoffee

Answer by warmcoffee at 7:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I worked at both a nursing home and home health facilty, there was a girl who worked pregnant at the nursing home till she gave birth but how I'll never know, too much transferring. Now with the agency I worked for, I did personal care ..baths, homemaking and respite care which is basically babysitting, so I would recommend doing that instead. Less strain and more variety, good luck and congrats!
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2010