Are you for or against school uniforms? why?

I am curious to where people stand on this issue. All oppinions welcomed.

stweshjali

Asked by stweshjali at 4:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am for. They are a great equalizer

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think they are good, for people who cant afford clothing , it helps to eliminate teasing, but I also like not having them, because I like buying mine's school clothes, and making them look nice!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Neither. There are benefits and drawbacks either way. I attended uniformed schools, my daughter attends a public school which requires no uniform.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• im for it, would save me money on school clothes
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Over all, I am for it. While I know it wouldn't eliminate teasing all together, it does take the edge off of kids picking on others because they're clothes aren't "in style" or what ever. Plus it makes school shopping easier.

hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I like the idea. It's less distracting.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 4:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I am FOR uniforms. Uniforms in my opinion are a cheaper solution. Also, it helps that everyone is required to pretty much wear the same thing. It does cut down on all that mumbo jumbo about who's wearing what and such..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'd like to see my kids school go to a uniform, not like the old Catholic school uniform my mom wore, but a khaki skirt/short/pant and collared shirt in one of 3 or 4 colours to choose from. Kids are in school for 6 - 7 hours and have lots of out of school time to express their individuality through their clothes. And I work in a high school and seeing boxers and "whale tails" (the thong hanging out), not to mention bra straps is getting really old. Plus I hate the cherry picking admin does of enforcing the dress code, making some kids change, but letting others walk around in super short shorts - even a strapless dress when they are against the dress code. Aarrgghh!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well my kids are homeschooled, so my opinion really doesn't matter, but I do think they are a good idea. I saw a lot of people get teased in school because of their clothes, and I don't think it is fair. School is for learning, not having to worry about who is going to say something rude to you about what you are wearing. If you take away one aspect that kids get teased/bullied for, then I think it would put more focus on the learning.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I've thought about this, and I'm partially for and partially against. I don't think super strict uniforms are a good idea- it takes away any personal freedom. But I do think something like "polo shirt, black or khaki pants, and black shoes" is helpful. Like fallnangel93 said- kids get picked on for their clothes, and it helps focus on learning. Not only that- but it makes school shopping more affordable, reasonable, and you know exactly what the dress code is!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2010