Mommy Naps

It seems no matter how well I sleep at night, I always have to lay down in the afternoon for at least an hour. I'm 42 and I'm in fairly good health. What gives? Does any one else have this problem?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 4:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Health

• If you are in good health, it could just be that it's a habit. You can try to exercise a little to get your energy up instead of laying down.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Just one idea..........Have you had your thyroid levels checked?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Actually I have had my thyroid checked and I do have an under active thyroid. All my doctor did was prescribe pills. Well actually I got a phone call from her nurse. I never actually talked to the doctor. (Looking for a new one now) I never suspected it would cause me to be tired though. Thank you elizabr. Something to talk to my new doctor about.
    CKasting

Comment by CKasting (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I do the same thing I am 28 years old. I have a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old. No matter how early I go to bed at night and then I wake up at 7:30 or 8 then I lay my 2.5 year old down for a nap I am always tired when I lay her down between 12:30 and 1 I don't know why. Although lately I haven't had any energy for anything either and I have had my thyroids checked twice so I don't know why I am like that I am healthy as can be.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I take a nap everyday. I have sjogrens syndrome which is an autoimmune disease and causes fatigue, but it's not a normal fatigue like "I'm tired" it's more like "if I don't lay down I'm going to pass out"

Answer by missanc at 4:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Your hypoactive thyroid is making you tired. And yes, you need to take the thyroid replacement hormone. There is no other treatment for it, your Doc didn't "just prescribe pills" to get you out of his hair. My mom had Graves disease and now needs to take Synthroid for the rest of her life.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• N A P... really, I'm not sure if I have heard of that word? hmmmm... let me go look it up.... hang on... HOLY CRAP, people are allowed to do that during day! Guess I'm tardy to the party.... ROFLMAO...

I found that you can do a few things with your diet to help with the whole thyroid issue. Add a little Vitamin D and make sure you are getting enough Iodine. I switched to an Ultra Vitamin with Iodine (you'd be surprised at how many brands don't have it) and I take a Vitamin D supplement. The Ultra Vitamin also has lots of B, K and biotin.... I have more energy these days and I am hoping my hair will stop falling out!

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, I had my thyroid levels checked and I am borderline needing meds. Dr told me to let her now if I am more tired and if I have hair loss. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• try having a small protein carb combo.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2010