s/o of debate question

This isn't really a debate though. From this question over in RD:
http://www.cafemom.com/answers/478663/Catholics_why_do_you_feel_all_those_images_are_necessary_to_your_faith

Do Protestant/non-denom Christian churches teach the history of the reformation? If they do, how do they present it? If not, why not? (I'm not asking how it's presented in Catholic congregations, I'm wondering about the other side of it)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• the church i grew up in didnt teach any history. it was always Bible-related events or current life events. i didnt really learn (or care) about church history till i got to college and even then it was secular history. so ive had to learn all that stuff for myself and it makes me kinda glad the church i went to didnt attempt to give their version of the past (cause it would be wrong).

from what little i know it seems Catholicism teaches a lot more about the non-Biblical history of their faith than Protestant-based faiths.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I was about to become a member of Christian Reformed (that's the name of the denomination) Church years. I didn't go through with it but, there was a class you had to go through to become a member. It included a history of the Reformation. It was never anything brought up during sermons or anything, that I ever went to.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 7:52 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I know I'm now Catholic but I speak from my years of being a Prostant. The Churches I attended did not teach any history of their Church, except one. That was the one I grew up in. It didn't teach of the refromation but the Begining History of the Church. As a matter of Fact in our Church Camp they had a Huge Mural that depicted the Story and that's how we learned it.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm a Cradle Catholic, but I have seen a Protestant Church around this city somewhere (I wish I could remember the specific denomination) which strung up a banner once which read "Happy Reformation Day" or something like that. That particular day, or perhaps week, they seemed to be celebrating the Reformation, which I found incredibly surprising because I had always assumed (apparently incorrectly) that most (if not all) Protestant denominations would claim they were the original church, but in celebrating the Reformation they were publicly affirming that they weren't the original church.

I don't know, confusing to me, and maybe I'm wrong about my interpretation. Anyway, that seemed to be how they presented it. Sorry, I really wish I could remember which denom it was. =(
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My denomination teaches the history of the Reformation and promotes the spirit behind it. We present its history as an attempt to return to a pure Gospel- Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Sola Christo!

I personally believe the Reformation (as it was intended) has failed; as evidenced by the overwhelming support that the Ecumenical Movement (brain-child of the Counter-Reformation) has received from the majority of Protestant denominations. We should be united in all truth,yes,but not these vague spiritual commonalities. My stomach churns as I think of the Anglican Church's apologizing for Luther's doings. Protestantism has become a big joke---for now.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010